Technical Gearbox Exchange

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Exchange

Havemann

Hi there could andybody tell me what I will need to do a 4.speed to 5.speed gearbox exchange? Except the gearbox?

The only big difference is the rear swingarm on the gearbox side of the enginebay and the driveshafts. The 5th gear housing on the end of the gearbox (which is otherwise the same dimensions as the 4 speed box) intrudes into the path of the arm so Fiat put a little "cutout" in the arm.

The 5 speed driveshafts expect flat flanges on the gearbox while the 4 speed uses tripodes that insert into the box itself.

Great. Thanks a lot. Do yuo know if there is any other fiat models that has the 5 speed drive shafts?

I am not aware of any other cars with the right driveshafts. The Uno Turbo (early Mk1) uses the same type of driveshaft flange but the shafts themselves are not the same. The same goes for the Ritmo/Strada.

Great. Thanks a lot. Do yuo know if there is any other fiat models that has the 5 speed drive shafts?

Im not sure, but does the regatta? My x19 has a 5spd from a regatta in it, but im not sure of the work that went into changing it.

EDIT: My bad, I just realised that the regatta is a front wheel drive car, so the driveshafts will most probably be different

Last edited:
Apart from the gearbox you need quite a few parts...

The LHR control arm is different, but all cars manufactured after 1979 had the later type LHR control arm, so our Australian delivered 1300 4 speed cars in 1979 and 1980 have the late type left rear control arm

The axles and CV joints are completely different. X19 axles are short and long (L & R) Other models (front drivers like the UnoT) use a different axle setup.

The rear hubs are completely different, along with the bearing and flange that fits into the hub.

The five speed also uses a different flywheel and a larger clutch assembly (190mm as opposed to 180mm in the 4 speed) along with a different diameter (slightly) ring gear.

The starter motor is also different as are the radiator hoses to clear the larger starter

The four speed flywheel and clutch can be used, but would need a five speed ring gear mounted to provide correct engagement with the five speed starter.

The five speed also uses a longer clutch slave cylinder hose.

To fit a five speed X19 style gearbox and still retain the 4 speed type hubs and outer CV joints you would need some "franken-axles" which I have made / sold a few of....adapts the iner five speed CV to the outer four speed cv and lets you use the stock four speed hub.

And finally the shifter gate in the car is different ....

SteveC

Attachments

• X19fivespeed.jpg
    X19fivespeed.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 21
  • X19fivespeeda.jpg
    X19fivespeeda.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 20
  • X19fivespeedaxlelong.jpg
    X19fivespeedaxlelong.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 16
  • X19fivespeedCV.jpg