Technical Driveshafts on X1/9 with Uno Turbo gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Driveshafts on X1/9 with Uno Turbo gearbox

Hi all,

Got my Xy with an Uno Turbo engine full up and running after an update to a Coupé 16v turbo. Everything works really well.

Here comes my question:

Are the driveshafts from an X1/9 designed to fit perfect with the Uno Turbo gearbox or is there some alterations that needs to be done?

My X1/9 is from 1989 and engine/gearbox is from 1988.

We have a problem with the longer of the 2 driveshafts, there is a "clonking" sound from this.. it seems not to be fitting 100%.

Hope I've explained well enough, at least this is a start.

many thanks

Uffe

Hey again!

Sending another request about the driveshaft.
Anyone done the turbo conversation between Xy and Uno Turbo?
If so, if you used the X1/9 driveshafts did they fit perfectly or did you have to used a spacer as there seems to be a gap in the longer of the driveshafts.
Even if it seems to be working?

hope some can shed a light?

best regards

Uffe

The drive shafts will fit into the 5 speed X1/9 gearbox. Best if you use the short extension drive shaft that runs across the engine on the Uno and not the unequal length X1/9 ones. If you have the drive shaft set ups from both cars you'll have all the parts you need, it's a bit of a mix and match. One thing to look out for with the more powerful engine is the bolts holding the shafts onto the output flanges working loose, there are fixes but require a bit of machining.

The drive shafts will fit into the 5 speed X1/9 gearbox. Best if you use the short extension drive shaft that runs across the engine on the Uno and not the unequal length X1/9 ones. If you have the drive shaft set ups from both cars you'll have all the parts you need, it's a bit of a mix and match. One thing to look out for with the more powerful engine is the bolts holding the shafts onto the output flanges working loose, there are fixes but require a bit of machining.

Hey there, thx for reply.
However you might hv misunderstood me.
I have got the Uno turbo engine and gearbox, the driveshaft is from the X1/9.
So I’m not using the X1/9 actual gearbox, not even the cover of the X1/9 gearbox with the uno turbo actual gearbox as some have done..
The drive shafts seems to be fitting 100%, and we have even measured the gearbox on a X1/9 to compare distances and there isn’t a difference at all.
Hence we can’t understand why there seems to be this clonking noice, sounds like if something hits everytime the wheel turns 100% round, at the same time.
If you understand how I mean?

Sorry, I misunderstood. As you have said the early Uno boxes are near identical, apart from the gear selector poking out the wrong side and so there shouldn't be any fundamental problems. Causes could be worn CV joints, damage internally to the gear box. Can you pin point the noise to the gear box or wheel ends?

Sorry, I misunderstood. As you have said the early Uno boxes are near identical, apart from the gear selector poking out the wrong side and so there shouldn't be any fundamental problems. Causes could be worn CV joints, damage internally to the gear box. Can you pin point the noise to the gear box or wheel ends?

At the moment we think, or we have pinned it to the wheel ends.
We loosened the shaft on the gearbox side to see if the "lock splint" (if you know what I mean) was in the wrong place.. but everything looked fine on that side.
We will dismantle the wheel side today to see if there is something on that side.

As you say, there shouldn't be any problems with the driveshafts as it is.. I know the gear selector is different, but we have created a very good gear selector, which I'll show you later on a picture

Back