General Steering wheel play...

Currently reading:
General Steering wheel play...

klr142

What's up guys? My dad has an 85 US spec X1/9 with 80k miles on it. The steering wheel can be wiggled side to side... I don't know if there's supposed to be bracing, but when you're driving it agressively, you can't put any pressure on the steering wheel because it moves around slightly and feels very cheap. Definitely NOT confidence inspiring. Is this how it's supposed to be? or is it supposed to be supported or braced in some how? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle

Nah, shouldn't be any slackness, take off the column covers and check that the four bolts (10mm heads) are tight. If it's just side-to-side play it's not likely to be bushes, but it's worth checking out in case it's a cracked bracket or something similarly dangerous. Parts to fix should be cheap, I don't think it's a common problem.

-Alex

Yeah, I looked at it the other day, and the four bolts seemed tight. I think a couple of them could be tighter, but I think the real problem is this: the "washers" or whatever you want to call them that go between the bolts and the actual mounting holes are bent, and not making good contact with the mount. If that makes any sense. I'll try and get my dad to take a picture of it for you guys. If we just put some new washers of some sort on there I think it would be like it is supposed to be, but it still seems kind of "iffy" and low tech and not very stiff. But that's how it was designed I guess? We'll see. Thanks for the reply!
peace,

The "washers" you are talking about are for crash protection.

The steering column is affixed by two x 13mm nuts/spring washers/flat washers at the uppermost attchment.

The lower holes are rectangular, having a special square block with tabs washer under the 10mm head bolts (with captive spring washers)that hold the column to the pedalbox.

These special square washers tabs are supposed to fold over in case of an impact, and allow the steering column to collapse.

Sounds like the tabs on these are bent, and not sitting square.

There is also a bush (upper and lower) to centre the column shaft where it passes through it's support.

SteveC

fiatfactory said:
Sounds like the tabs on these are bent, and not sitting square.

Yep, that'd be correct... Is there somewhere we can get new ones? Or what do you suggest? I'll also have a look at those bushings next time I'm at home... Thanks for the help again!

Steve C, just wanted to say thanks for the explanation of how the washers are supposed to work! I had the column out of my Uno recently and it felt good to be able to re-instate the washers as they were supposed to be fitted - so that the rectangular hole in the column mounting can 'rip out' of the washers if need be, hopefully never of course!

I reckon if you just flattened the washers with a hammer on the floor, and refitted them correctly, they would work fine.

-Alex

alexGS said:
I reckon if you just flattened the washers with a hammer on the floor, and refitted them correctly, they would work fine.

-Alex

Ha! Good idea! I never thought of that... Now I don't have to look for ones online... Just flatten them out with a hammer, good thinking! :D Thanks guys!

Back