Technical Wheel alignment specs and related

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel alignment specs and related

RDS

My x1/9 has always had the steering wheel not centred correctly (the wheel is rotated to the right about 20 degrees) and may be the result of wheel alignment that is way off, however after I dropped the column a little to fit the new ignition switch and took it for a drive the pull to the left was quite severe.

Questions:
1 Does the way that the column is bolted back up affect the position of the rack so that the pull to the left is exacerbated?

2 Does anyone have the specs to take to a decent wheel alignment garage?

3 Are the rear wheels also aligned?

4 Does any one have any recommended wheel alignment garages South East of London, please? I am assuming that Kwick Flit are not worth bothering with...?

Cheers
RDS

I took mine to feltham tyres near Hounslow / Heathrow. They did my mechanics Citroen SM and he recommended them to me.
The specs are available in the Haynes manual and the x1/9 club kit. But the place has them on their software too.

I have also used a very local to me merittyres for my Mercedes w124 coupe. They were very good too.

Last edited:
Many thanks Richard; if I brave the M25 I might pop along to Feltham.

Oddly I can find no-one wo can commit/has the expertise nearer the the Southeastern quarter of the M25.

Cheers

RDS

AAA3B83A-2E00-4389-BA8B-CC8A57F344BF.jpeg

Many thanks Richard

My perusal of Haynes must have missed that!

However, even allowing for the difference at the rear suspension for 4 and 5 speed cars, and the mixing of mm and degrees/minutes in the Haynes, there still appears to be some discrepancy in what the Haynes has and what is on the software of the garage, which I attended. If I get a moment when I am with my records, I will post them.

RDS

I noticed the attachment mentioned "unladen". Does this mean the suspension is totally extended with the wheels "hanging" or compressed with no fuel or passengers? I've included the Chilton page.PXL_20211028_170214288.jpeg

I would say that "unladen" would merely be without load in the front and rear boot and without passengers and with minimal fuel.

I have the specs on other cars which require a certain specified weight to be placed on rear seats before undertaking the alignment. From this I conclude that "unladen" should have its ordinary and usual meaning. If the suspension were to be dangling, then the manual would have said so.

Back