Technical How do you take out the Ignition Switch??

Currently reading:
Technical How do you take out the Ignition Switch??

kass729

Hello...We have a 1982 Fiat X1/9 and we are trying to get the ignition switch out to see what it looks for sure (I think we have to replace it). We have the plastic off, but we're not sure how to get it out and don't want to break anything. Anyone know how to do this or know of a site that could help us? Thanks!:)

I'm changing the steering column right now in my 76 X1/9 and the replacement is out of a 78 with no ignition key. The 76 ignition switch has two bolts that hold the two halves of the switch on the column with normal six sided nuts that you can put a socket on. The 78, however, has inaccessible rounded off nuts. I'm planning on either cutting off the nuts with a dremel tool or using a die grinder to cut the bolts, then replace the whole thing with my original switch.

Ok, I was half right. The 78 bolts don't have a nut, only a rounded head. I cut a slot in the top with a demel tool, then backed it out with a screwdriver. They were pretty tight, but a pipe wrench or slotted pliers gives enough leverage to do it. The 76 ignition switch was completely interchangeable.

The rounded off bolts are actually snap-off security bolts. The idea is that the head shears off at a pre-determined torque setting so you just tighten them up until it snaps. In theory you then can't get them undone again but from personal experience I've never actually seen any with the heads removed!

Back