Technical Zastava 128 1.1 L engine smoking

Currently reading:
Technical Zastava 128 1.1 L engine smoking

TotalnoTito

Hi, I recently bought a Zastava 128 with the Fiat 128 SOHC engine. I noticed a large(er) amount of exhaust fumes leaking somewhere in the engine compartment. At first I assumed it was the exhaust manifold seal, but upon further inspection that wasn't the case. There is a rubber tube going down into the crankshaft compartment, from which large amounts of exhaust fumes come out ESPECIALLY when the car is warmed up. It doesn't reek of burnt oil nor is there white smoke coming from the exhaust. There's just the fumes coming out of the tube.

What could be the issue? Please help. Thank you.

I have filmed a video showing where the tube is and the fumes coming out.

Attachments

• VID_20240417_134843288.mp4
    15.8 MB
if that is a breather for the crank case and exhaust is coming out at that rate then the piston rings are the likely culprit

I'd recommend you do a compression test asap.
After reading out a bit about the symptoms of piston ring failure, I'm fairly certain that must be the issue. The rate at which it guzzles fuel has baffled me, but I always thought it to be just the small size of the fuel reservoir. The stuttering issues as well could be caused by the piston rings. Plus I can smell fresh gasoline mixed with exhaust fumes whenever I drive.

Thanks

if that is a breather for the crank case and exhaust is coming out at that rate then the piston rings are the likely culprit

I'd recommend you do a compression test asap.
Totally agree. The engine is worn or broken rings. Its a hell of a big breather. More like a secondary exhaust. Find another similar car and ask to see if it is the same.

Totally agree. The engine is worn or broken rings. Its a hell of a big breather. More like a secondary exhaust. Find another similar car and ask to see if it is the same.
It’s huge but I wonder if that is just the way Zavasta did it back in the day?? These days it would have a simple hose connecting it to the air intake for the engine to rebreath and burn any oil Vapor’s that are coming from the crank case, I don’t think it is suppose to have that much exhaust gas coming out but would have been a serious problem leading to carbon monoxide build up in the cabin

It’s huge but I wonder if that is just the way Zavasta did it back in the day?? These days it would have a simple hose connecting it to the air intake for the engine to rebreath and burn any oil Vapor’s that are coming from the crank case, I don’t think it is suppose to have that much exhaust gas coming out but would have been a serious problem leading to carbon monoxide build up in the cabin
I think the Zastavas poor reputation was probably well earned and this is as you say noy very safe. Carbon monoxide will get into the cabin. I suspect they are all the same....

I would add a metal pipe from from engine end to exhaust so these fumes go out the back of the car. Or you could try and pipe the fumes into the air box as per more modern designs. I think the volume is such it migh affect teh cars running though.

Im assuming things about annual emissions tests in Zagreb not being strict. It would then at least not kill the drivers and passengers. If there are MOT type tests this is not going to pass anyway with that level of blow by. If there are no emissions tests it would be a temporary solution. It might be the reason someone else sold the car.

Probably a very basic set up for a car that really only needed a small pipe. Because its that old canister on top of the carb type air filter you would probably struggle to route the pipe in between the airfilter and the throttle butterfly.

I was trying to think how else to do it, it would probably be best to fit an oil catch can to the pipe with the clear air being routed into the air intake in front of the air filter, that way the oil vapors would not foul the air filter ?

Well thats one I dear but I suspect there is a lot of work ahead of @TotalnoTito who will now have to face installing new piston rings and possibly oversized pistons as well as having the engine block rebored.

Back