IMAG1141.jpg

Panda Yet another 100HP

Introduction

He's home. (y)

IMAG1141.jpg

Only just got back, so this is a rush. The lightest clutch and steering wheel in the world. I haven't tried sport yet.

It is a little bouncy, but not that hard... However, those bloody brick speedbumps that are outside my house are a nightmare. I have to drive over them at 1MPH.

The sub doesn't do anything until the EQ is in 'Rock' then it gets a bit loud. :D

Tiny mirrors are very very tiny.

I'm working tomorrow afternoon, he must be washed and polished before I show him off. :p
I enjoy driving an artic and I'm not scared to overtake anything in my 100hp, you have to use the entire rev range then it goes like stink.

It won't go any faster even if I whisper to it prayers or swear words during the overtake though :D

It won't go any faster even if I whisper to it prayers or swear words during the overtake though :D

Always gonna be something faster than you, no matter what you own. I think what DEV100 is saying is that if you measure the 100hp as a fun car without comparing it to the ability of others (in particular the turbo-diesel grand prix) it's a gem.

Whatever you buy, it'll have a compromise of some sort - the 100hp's downsides are turning circle (minor) and ride over bumps. The latter I guess depends on where you live and drive - it could be unusable for many.

For the record, on Derbyshire's bumpy roads, the 1.2 Dynamic is 'quicker' or rather it's more comfortable doing that.

Almost anything would be better than the artic ;)

I took mine for a spirited drive across some bumpy country roads today and although it was fun I could really do with something that is more compliant and you are not scared to overtake.

On smooth roads it's a revelation though (and mind you the Konis are only on 1/8th from soft).

Due to the rear axle and short wheelbase I don't think much can be done (if anything) to improve it.

I don't know if I am seeing through rose tinted glasses or memory fails me as it's been 15 years since then but even my 1.0 AX may have been more fun than the Panda (at least in the ride quality area despite having yellow Bilsteins fitted)

The bits in bold, I especially agree with.
When the conditions are all for it...it's certainly the most lively and fun car I've had (this is my 19th car - although the majority have been 'ordinary' cars..kinda thing)..and it does feel BRILLIANT.

Trouble is....the majority of roads around here and NOT smooth enough, especially the roads that you WANT to be smooth to fully enjoy the car.

PLUS...mines already been tweaked to make it better...and true...it doesn't jump around like standard ones do...and despite the firmness..it stays pretty controlled....so it's been as well done as possible, I reckon, using what it's working with.

The thing is...when used 'normally'....it is a bit of a compromise. I knew all about it of course...and it actually is probably better than I was expecting in the ride department...but it's still harsh enough to make it a bit of a bind.

The best ride/handling combo * (please note..neither were anything like'as planted' as the Panda when it's on a mission) car's ive had are:

My two ZX TDs Yes, they rolled a bit...but what beautifully steering and feel through the chassis...many fond memories..although they did get a bit flighty at times..that rear end would sometimes want to go...

And my MK1 Focus. I had a TDDI but had regular use of a 1.6 petrol...and these cars are just....wonderful mix of all-round qualities. Compliant (enough) ride...great damping...nice steering..lovely controls..gearbox etc.

Not as fun as the Panda when it's 'on it'...but certainly more accomplished as a general driving tool...IMO.

Please note...I'm not on a downer...just giving a balanced ..stuff.

Always gonna be something faster than you, no matter what you own. I think what DEV100 is saying is that if you measure the 100hp as a fun car without comparing it to the ability of others (in particular the turbo-diesel grand prix) it's a gem.

Whatever you buy, it'll have a compromise of some sort - the 100hp's downsides are turning circle (minor) and ride over bumps. The latter I guess depends on where you live and drive - it could be unusable for many.

For the record, on Derbyshire's bumpy roads, the 1.2 Dynamic is 'quicker' or rather it's more comfortable doing that.

What I meant is that it's difficult to make progress on a twisty A/B road that is not empty as you have to plan your overtakes really well or be stuck behind someone. Of course there is always going to be someone faster than you and I don't mind that, I am not the one who is up for a GP "race" behind the wheel.

The bits in bold, I especially agree with.
When the conditions are all for it...it's certainly the most lively and fun car I've had (this is my 19th car - although the majority have been 'ordinary' cars..kinda thing)..and it does feel BRILLIANT.

Trouble is....the majority of roads around here and NOT smooth enough, especially the roads that you WANT to be smooth to fully enjoy the car.

PLUS...mines already been tweaked to make it better...and true...it doesn't jump around like standard ones do...and despite the firmness..it stays pretty controlled....so it's been as well done as possible, I reckon, using what it's working with.

The thing is...when used 'normally'....it is a bit of a compromise. I knew all about it of course...and it actually is probably better than I was expecting in the ride department...but it's still harsh enough to make it a bit of a bind.

The best ride/handling combo * (please note..neither were anything like'as planted' as the Panda when it's on a mission) car's ive had are:

My two ZX TDs Yes, they rolled a bit...but what beautifully steering and feel through the chassis...many fond memories..although they did get a bit flighty at times..that rear end would sometimes want to go...

And my MK1 Focus. I had a TDDI but had regular use of a 1.6 petrol...and these cars are just....wonderful mix of all-round qualities. Compliant (enough) ride...great damping...nice steering..lovely controls..gearbox etc.

Not as fun as the Panda when it's 'on it'...but certainly more accomplished as a general driving tool...IMO.

Please note...I'm not on a downer...just giving a balanced ..stuff.

I had a 1.9 ZX Tdi and loved it, it has passive rear wheel steering which lets the rear end be mobile.

The french used to be the best in combining ride quality with sporty handling.

I also like my dad's mk1 1.6 Focus, fantastic steering feel and very good handling but it is quite slow.

I agree that every car is a compromise but it doesn't help that I have been used to very high benchmarks, two previously fettled 205 GTis and a Forester STi; the Panda was bought due to "needs must" and because it had good reviews, it suits as fine as a small economic car at the time being but it's a love-hate relationship when behind the wheel.

Last edited:
I'd agree, again.

I've actually wanted a 100HP for years...and now I've got one, it's great.

I was saying the other day...it's....like...almost 'more' than a car...it's got character...I always still do an extra look back when locking up.

However..it's just a bit...wearing at times.

It is indeed. I'm still tempted to fit standard springs onto ours as I love the ride balance on our 1.2. Speed humps? Where?

Let us know how you get on as if this solved I may well be up for it.
That and 185/55/14 wheels/tyres.

I had a 1.2 loan car from NSB and loved how it ironed out everything.
155/80/13 FTW!

The 100HP was developed for smooth Italian roads apparently...

Last edited:
Let us know how you get on as if this solved I may well be up for it.
That and 185/55/14 wheels/tyres.

I had a 1.2 loan car from NSB and loved how it ironed out everything.
155/80/13 FTW!

The 100HP was developed for smooth Italian roads apparently...

Not sure they have smooth roads. Now inland Spain..........all the hairpins you want and in billiard-smooth tarmac with little traffic.

The rear springs would be a straight fit I guess. The front springs? Not sure how that'd work out - might knacker the camber and make it handle weird. This is why I've waited for someone else to do it!

Siliconed 2 days ago... Fell off today. :D

Hands up who's surprised.

Time to get the FIAT 500 ones - or do the honourable thing and fit standard Panda springs and tell me it all works wonderfully.

Siliconed 2 days ago... Fell off today. :D

Silicon has no glueing power for things under stress.

Time to get some new bumpstops dude and fit some standard springs as AB100 says.

Then we'll all buy you a beer for doing the testing for us.

Go on, you know you want to :D.

If you remove them and they bottom out you will need new shocks.

Last edited:
I stuck one of mine back on with no more nails the day before the car's MOT in March 2014, and it's still attached now :)!

I tried doing the same to avoid the trouble fitting new ones but it would simply not stick.

They are not difficult to replace anyway.

Goodbye my sweetness. :cry:
I will miss your fantastic looks, I will not miss your awful ride (n)

Sold today to a nice kid, he'll probably be on at some point.

p.s. I have a new Twingo on order, which should be here 3rd week in March. I can't wait to have a hassle free, warranty for 3 years car. (y)

I drive mine to work and back every day - no complaints, but I never drive anything else to compare it to.

Dependent on your own health too, I suppose - 100hp suspension was a little uncomfortable when I had a slight back issue.

Goodbye my sweetness. :cry:
I will miss your fantastic looks, I will not miss your awful ride (n)

Sold today to a nice kid, he'll probably be on at some point.

p.s. I have a new Twingo on order, which should be here 3rd week in March. I can't wait to have a hassle free, warranty for 3 years car. (y)

Can't say I blame you, couldn't live with my 100hp either.

How's the Twiglet working out?

Back