General xmas is no more 4 me.

Currently reading:
General xmas is no more 4 me.

http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/clutch.htm

the bit i found within it :

Racing drivers can change gear without a clutch and you can too in an emergency to drive a vehicle without using the clutch. The starter motor is powerful enough to start a vehicle in first gear on the flat or even up a slight slope, although it is not recommended as common practice! (Also useful if stuck with a dead engine on a railway crossing when the express is due.) Running up to say 3000rpm in first gear, back off the throttle to take all load off the transmission and put the gearbox into neutral. Get the engine to about 2000rpm (assuming adjacent gears are in the ratio 3:2) and, with care, you should be able to engage 2nd gear with no clutch. Other gear changes are managed similarly. The engine must be turned off and the process repeated if you have to come to a halt. There will probably be a good deal of gears "grating" but with care, "feel" and lots of patience this can get you back to civilisation.

Seicento : Yellow : 1108
Cool As Penguin ****

ye, my mate can change gear in his mini with out the clutch. you just need to know what what rpm in different gears equal the same speed (if that makes any sence!) oh, and a smooth gear change helps! :D

Try this - run to say 3000 revs in 2nd, lift off the throttle so it's just maintaining speed, not slowing down or speeding up. Lightly push the stick into neutral, then hold GENTLY against 3rd. Now allow the revs to drop fairly slowly, when the speeds are matched you will feel the stick move toward third a little, push a wee bit harder and it should engage.

Not really a game to play every day, as it does promote excess wear on the synchros.

Pete.
1242cc cinq,turbo cinq,Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group,Clubcento

Double declutching is coming along, but I'll be buggered if I can heel'n'toe the cinq! The pedals are nice and close... BUT... the brake pedal disappears too far under the throttle, don't matter how fancy yer feet are, you'd need to be Jake with the extra leg to achieve anything like a satisfactory blip in my car. So far I've changed the fluid, fitted fresh pads and shoes, but all to no avail :(

BTW... I rode and raced bikes before I drove car, and I always blip the throttle up to the rpm of the next gear down the 'box. It's pretty infuriating to be thwarted in the cinq...

K&N 57i
180mm, 100w Rally Giants
Sparco 'flaps
Momo Top Power Steering Wheel
On order:
Spax PSX all-round
Blueflame full system

Back