Technical Xenon and EU

Currently reading:
Technical Xenon and EU

F4usT

I have my own title.
Hi everybody...

few days ago (11.07.2012) we (Croatia) had a new rule about Xenon lights. It's illegal until is serial production or/and have automatically leveling and light washers. because we are so badly adjusting all rules to EU i wonder how is in your country?

now i cannot pass MOT because of xenon, and if i put regular bulb i cannot pass because of bad light beam. i guess this is pure money sucking. :tosser: so i have to go to atest, pay around 160€ for checking and if they approve i'm legal. so after every mod i need to to to atest. (TÜV or any other cert is also not valid here, still have to go to atest).

i wonder how is in your country this handled? what you have to do after every modification like... changing floor mats, adding new fragrant pine on the mirror... because you are mostly from EU, must be very difficult to have a car.

i hope you understand what i wrote... some guy said once i'm like Scottish... more angrier, harder to understand... Ah dinnae ken....

Best regards,
Davor

Good Morning Mr. Angry! :)

Yep, it's them damn Eurocrats, AFAIK European regulations dictate (and I use the word advisedly) that any vehicle fitted with Xenon headlamps must be fitted with a self-levelling system and also a headlamp wash system. BUT, I thought this was for new vehicles only, I wasn't aware it included retro-fitting, but others will be more knowledgable on that subject.

You could pretend to be Armand Esders who ordered his Bugatti Royale with no headlights as he never intended to drive at night...:cool:

Good luck with this one.

Reactions: KC3
yes, i also tough it's for new cars. maybe our guys translates something wrong from EU rules... so i can send them email about this. also, if somebody wish to install them legally, there is nothing about light color, who is authorized to install them, how powerful must be washer pump, which wipers to use... same was with first aid box... we had to buy from only one company in Croatia, because all other were not good enough. they counted the needles and razor blades...

(well, i also send email to Verbatim because it was impossible to open that plastic wrap on CDs normally way... i had to use machettes and axes... but no response from them so far.)

it's like bread bakers are creating rules for cars... who never drive at night.

on other way, there are thousand of rusty vag-s with hanging bumpers and lanterns instead of lights... and they pass mot.

not that angry how disappointed i am... it's pure milking money.

Here in Belgium it's just the same. Legal but...

What I do is. Every year xenon out halogen in.
And then visa versa.

Not so happy when I need to do it though

I'm not a fan of aftermarket HIDs I'm afraid. The number of idiots with badly adjusted ones on Golfs and Corsas around here is pretty bad and they just blind you.

The UK legislation is not clearly written either. I think it meant to say unless you have headlamp units designed for HIDs, automatic levellers and washers then they are illegal, but someone lacked the balls to put it in print.

I agree with Pete with his point about badly adjusted HID's. I recently drove back from Newcastle in heavy rain at night and a number of oncoming cars, even though on dipped beam, were dangerously badly adjusted or simply too bright. I feel your pain Davor, I have to say that my initial thoughts were that standards would be less strict in your country but clearly this is not the case. I am all for high standards when it comes to safety but I also like the 'common sense' attitude that still exists at my local garage when it comes to MOT's. I have been told that MOT testers in the UK need to have a certain percentage of 'fails' otherwise they could bring DOT inspections on themselves. Because of this, they will occasionally 'fail' a vehicle with a minor technicality (sidelight bulb or similar) change the bulb, then retest. As the retest is free, it makes no difference to the car owner. Steve

yes, i agree wit percentage of 'fails' that must be done to avoid inspections. also they are taking front and back pictures of cars at mot... well, if they let go 'illegal' car and police catch car later, they could lose job...

but anyway, it should be like this: ok, i installed HID all is aligned, all wires are secured. i pay additional few €€ (depend on modification) to insurance and that's it...

Back