Written off but want to repair myself

Currently reading:
Written off but want to repair myself

blackmagic11

back in black!!!!!!
Hi all!
Just looking for some guidance.
I had a light front ender on 16th december. My insurance have written off my 02 stilo but it is easily fixable @ less than 200 from breakers. Adding more weight to keeping her going she had a clutch in october, both new rads sept, 4tyres in sept, towbar and all belts last year and starts and runs fine. Chassis and bumper reinforcer are untouched, just bumper wing and light! I've said i will not scrap it and will repair myself after engineers report but a few things I'm worrying about.
Tesco are asking for my v5 already, if i sign it over then sign back will that mean i will have to redo tax?
Do i have to sign to them?
Do i have to accept their payout?
If they take my car will it be guaranteed not to be touched?
I have no clue how it works and tesco are being pretty vague about things.
Any guidance welcome

Thanks

Well you need to be certain they're happy for you to keep the salvage first of all, if going through your own policy you've no right to the salvage if they want to keep it.

If they're letting you keep it then not sure why they're wanting to collect it, you need to clarify this with them.

You don't have to accept their payout, but if you're expecting more than reasonable they're not just going to payout more than they need to.

Personally if it's only going to cost a few hundred to repair I wouldn't even bother putting in the claim, it'll then save you all of this hassle, and not leave a mark on the cars history (y)

Unfortunately tp had already stuck it through, all his mondeo had was scratchs and a split, he got quoted just over 400 for new bumper with paint and fit. I think i nedd to talk to someone higher up in tesco insurance. I'd be happier to get nothing, fix it myself and carry on with life. I haven't at any point asked them to repair it! So not really any loss to them!

Unfortunately tp had already stuck it through,

No no no, the 3rd party is making a 3rd party liability claim from your policy, its you who has to decided if to claim for your car or not.

Just don't claim, its that simple (y)

There's no need to speak to someone higher up, it seems to be you who's confused or not made things clear to them. Call them tomorrow and confirm you don't wish to claim for you car (y)

Indeed even the worst damaged cars can end up back on the road because the owners didn't claim for the damage.

In your case it seems very mild and to claim would be silly. If it was your fault then just don't claim, if another party was at fault then you may be able to negotiate a payout from the other party's insurer to keep your car and they give you a payment to cover the inconvenience, as paying you £200 to bugger off is a damn sight cheaper than £500 for your car and then a fortune disposing of it.

Back