Worth updating Nokia software?

Currently reading:
Worth updating Nokia software?

I recently got a new Nokia (first new phone in about 6 years) and I keep getting messages from Nokia saying that software updates are available. My last phones were very basic. So....

Is it worth doing?
Are there any benefits?
Or, are then any downsides from NOT updating?
My phone does everything I want it to (and about a million times more) so I'm sure its not to update glitches.
What are the updates for?

Any thoughts?

is it actually a firmware update for the phone, or just an update for the PC suite software? you may as well update the PC Suite software - i've only ever noticed an improvement in phone backing up / restore functions when updating PC suite. but its worth doing just shut it up.

as for updating the firmware, what phone is it. and is there anything wrong with the software on it in your opinion, and is that addressed in the firmware update? for example, my n95 on its stock firmware is useless on battery life. with a new one, it changed the way memory is accessed and now the battery life is crap, but not useless.

Is it worth doing?
depends on what has been updated
Are there any benefits?
Or, are then any downsides from NOT updating?
What are the updates for?

Any thoughts?
find out which version your software is, then see which versions are available, then see what is offered in those updates, then decide if you want/need to update.

in many cases a firmware update will erase any provider specific stuff, such as themes and SMS/MMS/GPRS settings.

Its the firmware thats been updated. Model is 6300.
There doesn't seem to be any mention of whats different on the nokia website, they just say to check for updates every month. No version list either.

Its all running fine, so I wasn't in a hurry to update the software.

just wandered what other people did. Always update? or only try an update if they experience 'issues'

i'll usually see which firmware versions are avialble and use the one i prefer. i usually use the most up to date non-branded one, but sometimes there are features only available on certain branded firmwares so i'll use them (especially if phone wont let you create a custom theme, so a branded theme can be used instead). there are good forums that are dedicated to firmware updates.

Last edited:
Back