Technical Woke up to no oil & coolant

Currently reading:
Technical Woke up to no oil & coolant

Have you checked to see if it is pressurising ??? Refill coolant resovoir ,leave cap off ,and just start the engine ,check for bubbling ,or if it pumps the coolant of ,or you can smell exhaust fumes.Even replace cap for 2 minutes and then remove,again it coolant flows out ,then it sounds like a head gasket issue ,as the compression of the engine is pressurising the cooling system,All the above is on a cold engine

Persoanlly, I'd top the levels back up, and start again, keep checking it every few days, see if you can see any marked or noticeable drop.

We were always taught to fill fluid levels to the maximum mark, which incidentally, gives you a little more leeway when it comes to your weekly routine.

Take her for a short 5 mile run, just to get her up to temperature and water pressure etc, and place a nice new large piece of cardboard box under the engine bay. Any water or oil leaks will show up.

If it's burning oil, this would be indicated with blue smoke. Get a mate to follow you, and give the car a bit of work to do, find the steepest hill in your neighborhood and make the engine work.

If it were head gasket, i'd expect to see one of three things. Oil in the water, water in the oil (white gunk) or steam out of the exhaust.
Don't confuse the steam out of the exhaust with condensation at start up though. (although in this heat, i wouldn't expect that)

Right been a couple of days, oil has dropped from full to around 3/4 now, coolant has moved but I put both of these down to the engine being warm. Don't think there's been any real drop. Will keep an eye on it and try the above suggestions.

Right been a couple of days, oil has dropped from full to around 3/4 now, coolant has moved but I put both of these down to the engine being warm. Don't think there's been any real drop. Will keep an eye on it and try the above suggestions.

Check first thing in the morning when cold then ;)

I had my had my old punto loose oil really quickly....
At first I wasnt blowing blue smoke, but 1l of oil qas about 500miles

Then on start up ut was rough and laggy, give it some beans to make it work and hey presto here came plumes and plumes of smoke.....

Compression test confirmed what I didnt want to know
Cyl 100psi compression dry and then 200wet
The remaining cylinders were 200psi dry :-(

My advice buy a 10-15 ebay compression tester and get some resulta for yourself

Ziggy

Just to clarify; sniff test != Columbian marching powder.

Just tried the sniff and ended up lke this:

I had my had my old punto loose oil really quickly....
At first I wasnt blowing blue smoke, but 1l of oil qas about 500miles

Then on start up ut was rough and laggy, give it some beans to make it work and hey presto here came plumes and plumes of smoke.....

Compression test confirmed what I didnt want to know
Cyl 100psi compression dry and then 200wet
The remaining cylinders were 200psi dry :-(

My advice buy a 10-15 ebay compression tester and get some resulta for yourself

Ziggy

You reckon? Ill have a look mate. Are the restuls trust worthy though?

Back