Technical Wishone replacement...why???

Currently reading:
Technical Wishone replacement...why???

Guys
I notice from this forum that quite a few of you have replaced wishbones.
I am curious as to why???
A wishbone as far as I'm concerned holds a hub steady at the bottom of the suspension whilst facilitating vertical movement as the suspension travels.
I find it hard to see how anything other than bushings should go on these unless you hit a Kerb etc pretty hard.
Just curious really!!!
Cheers
Marty.

Hi Marty,

My reasoning for replacing the whole wishbone would be price, time and peace of mind. Even doing the job myself i would rather pay a little more and have a bolt on item than change potentially the 2 bushes and the ball joint( if the balljoint can be changed - never looked hard enough to notice). If you are paying for a garage to do the work it would be an hours labour to change both wishbones or an hourish each side to recon with new bush / bushes / balljoint (potentially longer if the original balljoints are rivetted on)
The wishbones are available complete for about £50 a side on average.

If you have 1 bush worn then you could rplace that one but the other on that arm is likely to follow soon and you have to do the whole job again.

If a car failed an mot and i was going to sell it i would do the bush that failed but on a car i am keeping the peace of mind knowing all is well for the next 70-80k far outweighs saving a couple of tenners and probably revisiting wishbone removal in the near future.

Kev

Why does anything thing go wrong on a Multipla, our 05 model recently failed it's MOT as a result of bush failure. So i had both wishbones replaced!!

Back