Technical Replacing rear door window.

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing rear door window.

Qwoth

I recently had to replace my offside rear door window, thanks to a council strimmer. I ordered a s/h replacement on ebay and was just about to return it because it looked far too big but decided to give it another chance, and it fitted.
Here is how.
The window will only fit into the opening when it is offered up from the outside of the door & is laid flat against the doorframe (frame may need to be flexed inwards slightly too).
First: take off all of the internal door trim/latches/ashtray/panel.
Then: strip out ALL of the rubber window surround - be careful to save the small white nylon runner that lives inside the front rubber trim, you’ll need it for the replacement if you didn't get one with the new window.

With the rubber missing you should just about be able to slip the widest bottom part of the window into the opening and slowly work it downwards (as if it was opening). Suddenly the window will want to drop, catch it, and locate its central hole onto the arm of the opening lever. There is a flimsy nylon tag that stops the dowel through the window from falling out, it will probably have snapped when you removed the old window remains, I had to improvise a tape tab to stop the broken tab from falling off into the depths of the door.

Next: Once the window is in the hole, (it will be very very loose) find the small white nylon runner and fit it into the tiny hole in the front edge of the window - I had to drill away the plastic weld that stopped me clicking the runner onto the window.
Then: Get lots of soapy water and thoroughly lubricate the rubber seals. Make sure that the window is as low as possible, slip the bottom end of the rubber seal at the front of the window (the one with the nylon runner) into the metal doorframe while locating the nylon runner into its special groove in the rubber.
feed the rubber seal downwards by pushing it and tucking it into the doorframe, keep doing this unti the top corner of the rubber seal is in the right place to slip into the corner of the metal doorframe.
Now: Do the same with the back rubber seal, push it into the doorframe and feed it downwards until the top corner aligns. There is a big gap at the back when the window is open so that job is quite easy. Once both sides of rubber seals are in place you can push the top of the rubber into its groove. And you are done.

Getting the broken glass from the breakage out from the door void is tricky, I taped a narrow tube onto my household vacuum cleaner so I could reach in through the window slot.
Make sure every bit of broken glass is removed from the rubber seal or it wil sound awful every time you work the window, and probably break the window again soon.

Back