Technical Wipers won't stop!

Currently reading:
Technical Wipers won't stop!

hamish99

Help My wipers on a Marea Saloon (W) reg won't stop. I think the motor control box on the wiper mator may be faulty. Anybody know if there are any other clever bits hidden elswhere that are worth checking before a wet afternoon at the scrappies? or is that wiper motors electronics it.

a faulty park switch (jammed on) inside the wiper unit would give the same symtoms you describe.

does the operation of the wipers stay the same regardless of the stalk control position?

Thanks for getting back to me , two heads hurt less than one.
It doesn't matter the stalk position, however the speed does vary on the high speed setting. I removed the motor unit and stripped it down to check the park switch and I'm pretty confident that that bit is working ok. What I was wondering is, Is there another unit for the delay wipe function? could it's relay be stuck on rather than sending pulses to start a single wipe cycle therefor the park isn't parking? Or is all this done by the wee PCB on the motor itself. I didn't think it had enough connections or a high enough component count for all that. My problem is that the Haynes manual I've got covers all model up to W but not beyond which mine is Just!

thoughts please

ok, is the switch an enclosed type, or can you see the contacts actually working? did you test it with a test meter to be 100% certain the switch is ok?

the intermittent control circuit will have a controller and a relay, which closes for a second or so, and then the park switch in the motor takes over. it is plausable that the contacts could have fused together. can you hear the relay 'tick' when you leave the stalk set to intermittent?

if you're not sorted, send me your chassis no. as i have the parts cd and can help locate other related parts.
[email protected]

Thankyou for your replies. I'm pretty certain by metering across the switch that it's OK (things go on and off and seem to stay in whatever state they are set to) however a new twist to the fault is that it's intermittent! This morning the wipers started by not stopping then suddenly decided to park. They are currently operating normally, but for how long? My feeling is that it's something to do with the internal circuit board but so far I can't find any duff components on it or dry joints. It may be drastic but it may be a case of tracing out the cicuit diagram to understand how it does what it does, unless anyone's already done that. I'll see what happens in the next few days.

i had the same problem yesterday, i was driving and went through a massive puddle whilst it was raining and then the wipers wouldnt stop no matter what speed i put it on but the speed i put them on they varied between the top 2 speeds but went back to normal after twenty minutes of me screaming at them to turn the F*** off (y)

Well I drove 50 miles today with normal operation. I don't think the water that gets in somewhere gets into the motor itself as my motor assembley and pcb had been in the house being checked and was dry when the fault re-emerged. I'll add a posting if it happens again! Me being in Scotland being wet is the norm not an unusual occurrence so it won't be long until I can test the theory!!! :bang:

be sure to let us know as after my probs i need an answer, but like i said in my above post i went through a massive puddle and water sprayed up everywhere and that made the wipers go crazy :(

Back