Technical Wipers stopped working properly

Currently reading:
Technical Wipers stopped working properly

Hi all, had a strange one this week, just jet washed to Barchetta, went to drive off, tried to use wipers, no response, just a small jump. Switched off car, as I rotated the ignition barrel, the wipers jumped, half way, stopped, then jumped a little on each rotation of the ignition, but no response from stalk control, I had to turn on and off the ignition to jump the wipers around to get them to park.

Any idea? Water ingress from jet wash?

Almost certainly the wiper motor / relay control unit which is part of the wiper motor assembly. Part into at bottom of post.

From my notes:

28/11/19 : General
0048,980 Wiper intermittent wipe and sometimes slow wipe not working

Removed steering column cowels.
Tested switch by bypassing / hot wiring as suggested in Workshop Manual
Switch OK as same problem occurs
Fault lies in relay unit attatched to wiper motor

Solution for time being is to use Flip Wipe or put to Fast Wipe and then
back to Slow Wipe if required. Going straigh to Slow may not work. Also
after Fast to Slow to Intermittent then one may get two wipe cycles

Relay unit seems to be wired to be sequential type of control requiring
transition between states to get the correct wiper motions and correct self
parking.

Long term solution is fix or replace relay unit or bypass relay unit to
have just Flip, Slow, Slow, Fast or have Flip, Slow, Fast, Fast.

04/01/20 : General
0049,049 New Wiper Motor Unit - old one to stock for later refurbishment if possible

Note: When I removed the old motor the black plastic water shield was a folded bag
type of assembly and the bag when unwrapped was full of very wet dirty/old leaf
and other debris.

So on refitting the new motor I chose to cut the plastic shield to provide only
top down cover and to NOT enclose the motor unit

This is the original Fiat Part Info:
New Spare PartFiat99474650BarchettaWiper MotorWiper Motor complete with Intermittent Switch Unit
28 November 2019​

This is what I replaced with as original Fiat part is no longer available
New Spare PartMagnetti MarelliTGE428G/0643428070010 (Motor - 0643428070000 / 8-323-A)0BarchettaWiper MotorWiper Motor complete with Intermittent Switch Unit
23 December 2019​
Fitted to Mirella

Last edited:
Hi all, had a strange one this week, just jet washed to Barchetta, went to drive off, tried to use wipers, no response, just a small jump. Switched off car, as I rotated the ignition barrel, the wipers jumped, half way, stopped, then jumped a little on each rotation of the ignition, but no response from stalk control, I had to turn on and off the ignition to jump the wipers around to get them to park.

Brillaint thanks, I will take a look, much appreciated

I found that on mine the spindles on which the wipers sit were rusted up. I stripped them and regreased them and we’re fine after that.

I found that on mine the spindles on which the wipers sit were rusted up. I stripped them and regreased them and we’re fine after that.
I'm pretty sure my mate Dave said that his B failed the MOT through non-working wipers and it took him far too long to realise that they just needed greasing as @Noideadave says

I had the same problem and agree with Noideave.

Fortunately I just took the arms off and gave the spindles a good spray of lubricant, allowed to soak, work the oil in and try again.
It was probably only one that was sticking but worth doing both.
Remember to lubricate "regularly".

If not that then carry on with the other advise/s

Back