Technical Wiper upgrade/hack?

Currently reading:
Technical Wiper upgrade/hack?

rb46dk

Hi all. I searched for this and saw that many people over the years have asked the same question but never really got a solution so.... I want to ask (basically) the same question but slightly differently.

Problem: My wipers are too slow!!!! If its raining hard or I'm following a lorry or on the motorway and people pass me, I'm struggling with visibility because the wipers on my '96 Cinq are simply too slow.

As stated, lots have asked about this and there has been talk of switching to a later Sei motor which has two speeds?!?! Has anyone ever tried this? The main problem that gets brought up is the shortage of switch positions on the stalk and wiring issues. However....

I could happily live without the intermittent setting, I hardly ever use it because the rain level has to be "just right" for it to be any use. If it's not raining enough for full wipers then I tend to use the, tap the stalk up, single wipe, manual method then switch to full wipers when the rain gets harder.

So what I'm suggesting is to keep the manual, single wipe, use the first stalk down position for slow speed and the second down position for a faster speed and loose the intermittent altogether.

Is there anyone out there who knows if there is another Fiat wiper motor that has two speeds that would fit my Cinq, and would my suggestion overcome the lack of switch positions and the wiring problem?

I'm assuming that an intermittent wiper setting is not essential for MOT, surely as long as the wipers work its safe?

I am an electrician so... although I'm not an auto electrician I feel confident I could make this work if it's possible. What do the more Fiat knowledgeable people on here think?

Hi all. I searched for this and saw that many people over the years have asked the same question but never really got a solution so.... I want to ask (basically) the same question but slightly differently.

Problem: My wipers are too slow!!!! If its raining hard or I'm following a lorry or on the motorway and people pass me, I'm struggling with visibility because the wipers on my '96 Cinq are simply too slow.

As stated, lots have asked about this and there has been talk of switching to a later Sei motor which has two speeds?!?! Has anyone ever tried this? The main problem that gets brought up is the shortage of switch positions on the stalk and wiring issues. However....

I could happily live without the intermittent setting, I hardly ever use it because the rain level has to be "just right" for it to be any use. If it's not raining enough for full wipers then I tend to use the, tap the stalk up, single wipe, manual method then switch to full wipers when the rain gets harder.

So what I'm suggesting is to keep the manual, single wipe, use the first stalk down position for slow speed and the second down position for a faster speed and loose the intermittent altogether.

Is there anyone out there who knows if there is another Fiat wiper motor that has two speeds that would fit my Cinq, and would my suggestion overcome the lack of switch positions and the wiring problem?

I'm assuming that an intermittent wiper setting is not essential for MOT, surely as long as the wipers work its safe?

I am an electrician so... although I'm not an auto electrician I feel confident I could make this work if it's possible. What do the more Fiat knowledgeable people on here think?
Hi rb

My problem with cento wipers is that the wiper arms and linkage rods break and fall off rather than the speed being too slow :)

However I expect your car has the earlier style column switches? I have an older fiat (X1/9) and that has incredibly slow wipers. The problem with that (and possibly your cinq) is that the voltage drops as it has to go through so many connections from the battery to the motor. There is no relay for the wiper motor (on the X anyway) and the solution is to add power direct from the battery to the wiper motor and use the switch to operate a new relay. I think the contacts on the stalks also get a bit worn out and higher resistance. As well as any old grease on the wiper pivot bearings. This is also a problem with headlights on the X1/9... as the cars get older the switches and connections get worn out and oxidized and creates more losses... perhaps this would help your cinq wipers? Easy to test anyway.

Hi purf. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this. Yes mine has the column switches. I'll try cleaning the contacts up and replacing the (probably) stiff old grease for some nice new slippy stuff. I don't really believe that it could make so much difference to the wiper speed but I do understand the logic so will give it a try this weekend and report back.
What I'd really like to know (and I'm sure someone on here must know the answer) is, if there is a 2 speed wiper motor from another Fiat that will physically fit straight into my *96 Cinq without any mechanical mod's, and then I am more than capable to mod' the electrical side to make it work.

No problem. I think the later centos with airbag steering wheel and round stalks all have a three position motor which should swap over easily.

I fitted a fiat uno single wiper motor on one of my past cinqs with bolts through the windscreen scuttle grill! 🤭

Back