General Wiper, intermittent function

Currently reading:
General Wiper, intermittent function

Dogger Bank

1988 Panda 1000cc.

The intermittent function on this Panda has ceased. There is a faint click from somewhere behind tha fascia when the switch is operated but that's all. Continuous wipe is OK.

The manual is not much help apart from indicating that the function controller is situated on the fuse panel. I cannot see whether this is plug-in unit or whether the whole panel has to be changed.

If anyone has had experience of this fault or knows a likely cause I would be most gtateful.

Dogger

I have the very same problem on my '92 Panda 900. Push the stalk down either once or twice, and the front wiper does 'monsoon mode'. Also, mine fails to self-park when you cancel it.

In 10,000 miles I've mastered the art of manual self-parking the wiper blade :D

But I'm afraid I've absolutely no idea what's up with it and haven't got round to investigating yet. Sorry I can't help anymore [8)]

Paul

The self parking problem is usually an internal problem with the wiper motor - there's a track inside that has a break in it where the wiper should stop. The track's either damaged or not making contact.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

Hi,

The intermittent wipe function is controlled by a plug-in unit on the fusebox. If you look under the parcel shelf by the pedals you should be able to see the fusebox. The intermitent unit is on the right hand side. Replacing this unit may solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.

Thanks for that Andrew.

Two things to look at now, when the weather improves :)

Paul

You should be able to get another wiper motor from a scrappie. Mine cost me £10 (which I thought was pretty expensive). Take the wiper arm too as I've noticed that the splines tend to wear out pretty quickly ...

I'm saddened that my local scrappie had a lot of Pandas in stock, some of them still with MOTs and in better nick than mine. This is the one that went up in smoke during the recent firemen's strike ;)

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

I seem to be forever buying things for this car! Apart from service items (oil, filters, points, etc) and cleaning stuff (wash 'n' wax, wax, polish), since last Easter I've bought
-2 front tyres
-New gearbox
-New clutch
-New full-length exhaust

And these aren't 'modified' parts, they're replacements for the originals. It's coming close to being a different car than I bought with all these new parts on it!

But thanks for the help Steve ;) I could ask my parents for a wiper motor for my birthday.....

Paul

Back