Technical Wiper blade scratch removal

Currently reading:
Technical Wiper blade scratch removal

wolvescinq

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced, easy to use product for removing windscreen scratches?

Thanks for that - but isn't there a liquid you can simply apply and wipe off? Otherwise, may ring Autoglass and see what they can do - and hope they don't claim the screen needs replacing. Scratch isn't deep, but follows the full wiper blade arc and is right in my line of vision. Funny thing - blade's only about 2 weeks old.

Glass once scratched or marked heavily is difficult to just rub on & off by hand. You will need at least some sort of drill power & mop attachment.

Glass once scratched or marked heavily is difficult to just rub on & off by hand. You will need at least some sort of drill power & mop attachment.

When I had an old Peugeot with a scratched windscreen I got a local company in to polish it out (wanted to keep the Talbot Logo on the original - sad huh)

Windscreen companies just wanted to smash the old one and put a new one in:mad:

Cost about £30 for 45 minutes work and was done on my drive.

My local auto parts shop suggests Auto Glym's windscreen polish - £5.99. May give it a try before shelling out on anything more expensive? The scratches (there are, upon closer inspection quite a few - but only one's really noticeable) aren't deep so maybe that's all I need.

Incidentally, Autoglass refuse to repair scratches!

My local auto parts shop suggests Auto Glym's windscreen polish - £5.99. May give it a try before shelling out on anything more expensive? The scratches (there are, upon closer inspection quite a few - but only one's really noticeable) aren't deep so maybe that's all I need.

Hi wolvescinq can get autoglym windscreen polish here for a bargain price.(y)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOGLYM-CAR-GLASS-POLISH-FREE-P-P-/110584025629?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bf52521d

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Incidentally, Autoglass refuse to repair scratches![/QUOTE]

For a good reason in their eyes. It's not a money maker. They will make more dosh by suggesting a new screen through someones insurance.

For a good reason in their eyes. It's not a money maker. They will make more dosh by suggesting a new screen through someones insurance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that figures - but then why still bother to repair w/screen chips? I see there's a company on this site advertising scratch repairs - but I'm starting to wonder if there's any point in going down that route. Probably wouldn't come under my insurance. Looks like Auto Glym may be the only option - or put up with the scratch, of course.

Thanks for the advice! Looks like something I'm just going to have to put up with, after all. Don't want to shell out on a drill/mop solution, which seems to leave only 'Jeweller's Rouge' as an alternative - which I'm told can end up distorting the glass. (Can confirm the Auto Glym w/screen polish won't do the trick.)

mate its £30 and its a mot fail if its in a certain area on the screen. if your hard up atm save the pennies. or youll get to mot time and have to get a new one or pay then....

simples. :)

MOT not due till Jan - may get an early opinion on whether it's a fail. If it is, will probably get it fixed/replaced in advance. Along with other items! (Split CV boots, loose bottom ball joint, etc.)

Back