Technical wingless' 1968 Fiat 500L Pushrod Question

Currently reading:
Technical wingless' 1968 Fiat 500L Pushrod Question

The four pushrods in my 1968 Fiat 500L are all identical length ~9¼" long, w/ identical fittings at each end, as-shown in the images.

The end fittings each have a small hole, implying to me that these pushrods are part of the oiling system, pushing pressurized oil, through the solid tappet, up through the pushrod, then onto the rocker.

In my case it is not possible to push air through the pushrod.

These have been ultrasonically cleaned in heated 100% Simple Green and still nothing is passing through the pushrod.

A small drill bit has been used as a hand-held probe and it still feels solid.

Should the pushrod have a through passage to permit oiling as I've described?

53537865250_9939649609_c.jpg

53536563547_bb3b8f5ac4_c.jpg

Ultrasonically cleaned all four in 80°C Simple Green for an hour and the end openings in all four have been probed w/ a small drill bit.

In all eight cases the probing feels like a solid pushrod, starting at the depth just beyond the ends shown in the images.

Is that correct? Are these solid pushrods? Thanks in advance for any / all assistance.

53537751073_b48fd72cd0_c.jpg

Ultrasonically cleaned all four in 80°C Simple Green for an hour and the end openings in all four have been probed w/ a small drill bit.

In all eight cases the probing feels like a solid pushrod, starting at the depth just beyond the ends shown in the images.

Is that correct? Are these solid pushrods? Thanks in advance for any / all assistance.

View attachment 438594
I will look through my selection of push-rods tomorrow and see what mine are like

I’m fairly sure the oil does not come up the push rods. It’s fed to the rocker shaft and in turn the rockers via a steel tube that is in the central push rod tube.

Whether or not the push rods are solid, I can’t say off the top of my head.

I’m fairly sure the oil does not come up the push rods. It’s fed to the rocker shaft and in turn the rockers via a steel tube that is in the central push rod tube.
For sure there is an oil feed in the center of the rocker shaft.

My rocker shaft assembly was removed. The center rockers were reasonably free to rotate, then made to be able to freely rotate. The end rockers (exhaust) were stiff, the eventually made to be reasonably free.

The assembly was ultrasonically cleaned at 80°C for an hour. The end snap rings were removed, (one end at a time to ensure reassembly at the same place) followed by the retention washer, then the rocker.

On both ends the rocker arms have a pair of lubrication holes.

On my assembly, even after an hour at 80°C ultrasonic cleaning, all four lubrication holes were still obstructed.

They were mechanically cleared, then flushed w/ LOTS of hot water, until freely flowing from the inlet to the end. This was repeated on the other end.

Now all four rocker arms rotate freely (and flow water freely).

After Ultrasonic Cleaning
53538354825_f084014c79_c.jpg

After Mechanical Poking and Systematic Hot Water Flushing
53538354820_4c14c8d86d_c.jpg

Back