Technical Windscreen Wipers Not Working

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen Wipers Not Working

asif

First off all I would like to say that this forum is the best thing I've found since I bought a GP, repaired fuel cap flap and door handle thanks to this forum.

I seem to have a problem with my windscreen wipers, they work intermittently, sometimes they will work for 4/5 minutes but when they turn them off no sign of life they are just dead and don't work.
Rear wipers work perfectly, no issues at all. Whenever I set the front ones at full speed I can hear a clicking/whirring sound, from what I read on this forum it may mean that the motor is the issue if I am not wrong.

I cannot find a guide to replace them.
I would appreciate if anyone could confirm that the motor is the problem and possibly link a video on how to replace it.

Apologies if this has been asked already I have tried looking for something similar already existing but couldnt.
Thanks

I'd eliminate the cheaper stuff first.

I dunno where the wipers relay is.. it may be on the motor or in the engine bay, so it's a candidate to get corroded and pack up.

You can eliminate the relay by swapping it over for any other identical one that you can find on the car (or buy a new one.. although it could be a wasted tenner) and see if that cures the problem.

Generally wiper motors live under the wiper blades.

You have to remove the wiper arms (undo the nut under the pivot cover and then lift the arms off the splines). Before you do this mark the position of the wipers on the windscreen - you may have little "O" marks on the screen if it's original... otherwise just stick a post-it note or similar on the screen and mark where the wiper sits.

To lift the arm off the spline it may be easier to bend it "open" so you can get a better grip of it. You won't be able to lever the arms off, since there's only glass, plastic and paintwork around there.. but basically the arms pull straight off the splines. Use some WD40 or penetrating oil to help the arm slide off.

Once you have the arm off, you have to remove the plastic scuttle panel. This is a bonnet open job. It's usually held on with screws.. and you may need to remove the rubber trim that runs along the bonnet drain.

Once the panel is off, you should be able to see the motor (or it might be under a plastic cover. The cover probably clips/may be screwed in place.

The motor will be held in with two or three nuts and there will be a plastic connector with a tab you have to squeeze before you can remove it.

Before you remove it completely, you have to remove the wiper arm linkages from the motor, so ease those off. They'll be held in with split pins probably (maybe a nut on the back).

The motor should come out fairly easily. When you fit the new one, grease all the linkages and pins.. and remove any debris under the scuttle panel and give it a good clean out to make sure the drains are clear.

Ralf S.

Back