General windscreen wiper problem

Currently reading:
General windscreen wiper problem

smutty

windscreen wiper problem.
My 2001 Marea 1.6 weekend has of late been out of service with lots of problems slowly being fixed. The latest however has me stumped, the wipers would work in the up one swipe position, and on the bottom double speed position.
i followed some advice and checked the fuse which was ok, then i removed all the plastic and the wiper motor. Contrary to some of the articles on the forum, my relay on top of the motor has 6 connectors, and i have checked them and when i switch the the wipers to different functions i get voltages on different terminals.
I took off the motor and cleaned it up etc, replaced the motor and all the bits and expected joy, to my horror none of the functions now work, the rear wiper and washer work and the front washer works. Therefore of to the shop to buy an new one, put it on the car and still no change. Somebody must be able to help me, i did plug the connector back into the relay on the original motor with the ignition on but engine not running but the fuse under the dash hadnt blown.

This may be the multifunction switch, I had to change mine 2 years ago, £120 and working around the airbag, scary. Anyway it fixed it.
My problem was headlights on main beam making the wipers work. I could get a switch for the 1.6 from a scrapper for a lot less, but not the 1.8. Can you get the wiper motor to run with a feed direct from the battery? Is the earth nice and clean? Volts present but not working can maen high restance earth.

sorry mate for the late reply, something to do with email etc.
The car is a lemon got it for a bottle of wine! started to do all the usual jobs on it head gasket etc. Got the wipers to work by putting on a separate earth, I was reliably informed that a 12 v piece of kit needs 12v not 11.4v as mine was, guy said this discrepancy is caused by a bad earth. so you are spot on with that.
However, intermittent wipe does not work, and they do not park themselves, i really do not want to start messing with the steering wheel, I suffer terribly from "sods Law", every time I open the bonnet something else is buggered.
Two things you can help with, I have a rough idle, lumpy not exactly a misfire but a bit like it misses a beat every so often. new plugs, leads, coil seems ok tightened all inlet manifold bolts etc. Also, as if ya need more, the throttle keeps sticking open when warmed up, had it off and cleaned it, can you get the little plastic valve off the throttle body, do not want to force it. Any help would be great as I live way up in the north of Finland, very expensive and hard to get scrappy parts!!

I had a similar wiper problem on my Marea Weekend 1.9JTD 110 today. Wipers come on when lights are on. Further fault finding indicates a possible multifunction (stalk) switch fault.
However pulling fuses indicated it was the left hand sidelight circuit that was causing the problem. Quick fix was to pull the left hand side light fuse, disconnect the yellow wire at the bulb and wire the bulb to the right hand sidelight with a piece of wire.

Back