Technical Windscreen Scuttle Panel - Letting in water.

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen Scuttle Panel - Letting in water.

BooBooDevere

Hi there. Just need some advice re a Fiat that I just purchased.

The scuttle panel on my 2005 Fiat Punto Grande has come loose (on the driver side), and has been letting in water into the driver footwell). It's peeled away on the top half, and there's loads of debris inside (looks like it's been like this for quite sometime).

How do I go about stickling the scuttle back down? Does it need some kind of (soft) rubber strip on the top? Would I need some kind of sealant so the scuttle bonds with the scuttle?

Would appreciate some advice, esp as the weather is getting worse!

Hi there. Just need some advice re a Fiat that I just purchased.

The scuttle panel on my 2005 Fiat Punto Grande has come loose (on the driver side), and has been letting in water into the driver footwell). It's peeled away on the top half, and there's loads of debris inside (looks like it's been like this for quite sometime).

How do I go about stickling the scuttle back down? Does it need some kind of (soft) rubber strip on the top? Would I need some kind of sealant so the scuttle bonds with the scuttle?

Would appreciate some advice, esp as the weather is getting worse!
Not sure exact area you are referring to, however two things to watch out for are, the drain tubes from the heater intake vents blocking with leaves etc. and if vehicle has ever had a replacement windscreen it is not unknown for a poor sealing job by the fitters. I had a customer whose big house was adjacent to a golf course. He reported to me a strange electrical fault, which turned out to be water ingress on the ECU on his VW Passat. Balls were often straying from golf course and one smashed his windscreen which they paid to have replaced, unfortunately the fitter made a poor job and caused the later damage.

Ok, I've now taken a pic of the scuttle panel where it's come away from the windscreen. Just wondering the best way to stick it back on?

20221005_145422.jpg

Ok, I've now taken a pic of the scuttle panel where it's come away from the windscreen. Just wondering the best way to stick it back on?

View attachment 413694
Windscreen is bonded in, so if done correctly shouldn't be a cause of water ingress.
Is it possible where that scuttle trim is dodgy, it is because there is rust behind it meaning there is nothing for the trim to fix too and possibly a rust hole there letting the water in?:(
I am guessing it isn't the windscreen it left the factory with.

Looking at the photos and advice varesecrazy has given it looks very similar to my 2010 Doblo van that I did the top strut mounts on recently. The two fiddly bits I had were getting the wiper arms free of their taper on spindle, a little oil and gentle rocking eventually released them, there is a tool to pull wiper arms off, but "love and kindness " usually works. I did watch a windscreen professional break the arm on my daughters Golf by not locating it on the spline correctly, tightening the nut and the first operation snapped the arm, which with me watching he was forced to replace instead of blaming a weak wiper arm!
The other thing on removing the plastic scuttle trim is on my Doblo it was one piece right across and I had to gently bend it clear of the bonnet support arms. Luckily it was a warm day, a cold winter morning and the plastic would have been too brittle.;)

You can see here that the rubber scuttle bung is fixed to the plastic panel with the plastic button clip

The white slot is a plastic serrated 'nut' that the selftapper screw winds into

The white blocks on the underside of the plastic panel are clips that tetain the edge near the bottom of the windscreen

This is probably not in place for @BooBooDevere
20201126_112621 (1).jpg
20201126_112611.jpg

Back