Technical Will no longer start

Currently reading:
Technical Will no longer start

MrGriff

I cannot start my car. When the fault happened initially it said 'Car security', 'Loose connection' or something like that. Padlock appears on dash after flashing.

Now when I try and start up I get all the issues which had been occurring for a while before this new one without the car security error. They are 'High Coolant Temperature', 'Airbag Failure' and sometimes 'ASR' and 'Low Oil Pressure' come up too. In fact I don't think I can be suprised any longer as I think I have had them all.

My Stilo decided to conk out in a 30 minute space in town, but luckily the wardens understood and no ticket was given. I managed to get someone to tow me after an hour, which was great till we snapped the towing bar clean in half and due to my Stilo having no breaks at the time I nearly drove over it. So after that we used good old rope and I had to handbreak to slow the car. Really not a good day at all but my Stilo has never been fixed properly by Fiat so I guess i'm used to it.

Any help appreciated! I like the car, and after spending ages getting one with the sky-roof it would be a shame if I have to sell it. It is a 52 plate 3-door 1.6.

Might seem a dumb question but power steering stays off till the engine is on correct?

Last edited:
I cannot start my car. When the fault happened initially it said 'Car security', 'Loose connection' or something like that. Padlock appears on dash after flashing.

Now when I try and start up I get all the issues which had been occurring for a while before this new one without the car security error. They are 'High Coolant Temperature', 'Airbag Failure' and sometimes 'ASR' and 'Low Oil Pressure' come up too. In fact I don't think I can be suprised any longer as I think I have had them all.

My Stilo decided to conk out in a 30 minute space in town, but luckily the wardens understood and no ticket was given. I managed to get someone to tow me after an hour, which was great till we snapped the towing bar clean in half and due to my Stilo having no breaks at the time I nearly drove over it. So after that we used good old rope and I had to handbreak to slow the car. Really not a good day at all but my Stilo has never been fixed properly by Fiat so I guess i'm used to it.

Any help appreciated! I like the car, and after spending ages getting one with the sky-roof it would be a shame if I have to sell it. It is a 52 plate 3-door 1.6.

Might seem a dumb question but power steering stays off till the engine is on correct?

Possibly 2 issues here, Stilo massive may know better but for now from memory...

The loose connection and essentially an issue with the imobiliser may be related to the transponder aerial for the security system.

All the other warnings may be spurious caused by reduced battery voltage due probably to constant attempts to start the car? Try charging the battery see if the warnings go, sorry I cant remember the fix for the security transponder aerial.

Yes go straight for the aerial pick up ring around the ignition switch.
ignition switch aerial.JPG
If there's a poor connection there you'll get the "loose connection" = lost connection and the immobiliser security lock warning

Last edited:
Back