General Wierd Water Noise

Currently reading:
General Wierd Water Noise

Punto_irl99

Lately everytime I start the Punto Mk2 up, I hear this gurgling sound of water like I have a half bottle of water sloshing around under the gear stick clutch ???

Any ideas???

I also noticed, I had the temp light come on so, I went to my local garage and topped the rad up! Prob is its way down again .... ??? No signs of leakage though??? Any ideas??

sounds as though youve got air in your cooling system, try bleeding the radiator. the air may have gotten in as a result of a leak, which may be why your losing water so quickly.

also you may find that the heaters are not as hot sometimes

water gurgling means air in coolant level wich means you losing water wich you know as the level is dropping now either youhave a leak, some of wich are only visible when the engine is running my sisyers punto leaked at water pump but when engine was off it was bone dry so never spoted for ages.

the other option is that your may have some headgasket problems wich obviously is more costly. check under the oil cap for mayonais.

I read the links .... Some difference with everyones methods !?!

** Had a quick look at it there now, bleed the radiator even though cold; lots of air came hissing out of the rear screw! Will check again tommorrow @ work ...... **

May end out bringing to a mechanic to have a look see, hopefully its nothing to dramatic and light on the purse strings. :bang:

Last edited:
well were all saying pretty much the same thing, youve got air in your coolant system as a result of a leak, it may just need to be bled but if the problem is the same after doing this its more than likely your headgasket thats bust. that can be quite expensive to fix. as for bleeding the system, use the search button and type "bleeding radiator" or similar and you should get a few threads up tellin you how to do it.its prob the most popular thread that pops up on here! where bouts in ireland are you from?

Got it fixed after the car overheated on me with water pissing out from under the engine block!!

Thank christ for the AA tow truck .... (y)

Got the engine block tested and skimmed, new gasket seal and washers etc etc etc, termostat ... fan.

Working perfect now ... €800 blips though ... And a week off the road! had to re-insure my bike just to get to work ... Happy Days:slayer:

The same thing happend to me, with my MK 2 B Punto Active Sport 16V,

This sound came from my vents and radio area on the dash, but disappeared after a minute or so after start up,

This is possibly the City power steering starting up.

Srobboc said:
The same thing happend to me, with my MK 2 B Punto Active Sport 16V,

This sound came from my vents and radio area on the dash, but disappeared after a minute or so after start up,

This is possibly the City power steering starting up.

Interesting point is that Head Gasket failure is virtually unknown on the Mk2 16v Punto, whereas on the 8v seems to be compulsory;)

Either way I'd recommend anyone with a MK2 punto to get their HG changed as a matter of course. I have seen so many on the side of the road bonnets up and people scratching their heads looking at the water on the floor :(

Get it changed before failier will cost a bit - but no-where near as much as after its failed.

Back