Technical Whining noise from cab. Van is 2014 Ducato 2.3 litre 130

Currently reading:
Technical Whining noise from cab. Van is 2014 Ducato 2.3 litre 130

SiLo

Hi All,
The problem relates to a noise coming from the van which seem most evident after driving it for 10 or so miles or 30 minutes. The noise sounds like it is coming from the driver side. You can hear it most when the van is running at less than 30 mph. At speeds above 45/50 mph you can’t hear it. Also worth saying it doesn't make any difference whether the brakes are applied, or not. The noise was no louder with the windows down. We took a five minute video whilst it was making the noise that may or may not help, it's here on YouTube.

Hi

The squeak seems to be at the same rate that the road wheel is going round. At 15 MPH that is about 3 squeaks per second.

It's possible you have a small piece of gravel trapped between the disc and the backplate.

Hi

The squeak seems to be at the same rate that the road wheel is going round. At 15 MPH that is about 3 squeaks per second.

It's possible you have a small piece of gravel trapped between the disc and the backplate.
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for getting back. Hadn't thought of that.

The squeaking seems to kick in after a few miles of driving, which makes me think it's an object or component warming up. Would the gravel/object start making a whine straight away?

Thanks

Hi

If it is something that has dry friction, I can imagine it being affected by temperature and/or humidity. In the past (with a car brake) I found a tiny round pebble coated with a shiny black metallic layer where it had been rolling around next to the disc and rubbing for some time. Sometimes it would make a noise, then it would shift position and go quiet for a while till a bump disturbed it.

A less likely possibility is something going on in one of the rear parking brakes. Applying the handbrake might provoke it to stop, in an effort to pinpoint the cause.

Hi

If it is something that has dry friction, I can imagine it being affected by temperature and/or humidity. In the past (with a car brake) I found a tiny round pebble coated with a shiny black metallic layer where it had been rolling around next to the disc and rubbing for some time. Sometimes it would make a noise, then it would shift position and go quiet for a while till a bump disturbed it.

A less likely possibility is something going on in one of the rear parking brakes. Applying the handbrake might provoke it to stop, in an effort to pinpoint the cause.
Thanks Anthony, I'll let you know what we find. Would be good if it's something as innocuous as a loose stone next to a brake disk.
Cheers

Sounds like it's coming from a fan bearing or something else in the ventilation system.
:cool:
I did once have a brake pad retaining clip come loose and catch the inside of the wheel rim.

Sounds like it's coming from a fan bearing or something else in the ventilation system.
:cool:
I did once have a brake pad retaining clip come loose and catch the inside of the wheel rim.
Cheers lancepar.

It's in the garage and the two front brakes are being replaced at the moment. There was a problem with nsf disk getting too hot, maybe something dragging. I guess that may explain why the noise doesn't start until after 30 minutes of driving

We'll, the front disks and pads have been done, but the noise still persists. Need to investigate further.

This might be a complete red herring but we've had an unexplained squeak (not as loud as yours). We are replacing the cross member and battery and with everything open and visible our friend spotted the culprit.

One of the wheel balancing weights was in a daft position and has been rubbing on the disc. As with your noise it was more constant at higher speeds.

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. The noise isn't quite so bad now. We drove the van for three hours /88 miles today and only heard the noise during blast 10 minutes. It's like replacing the front disks/pads has improved things but not totally eradicated it.
Thanks for your message and I'll be sure to post what the cause of the problem is, once we get to the bottom of it.

Cheers

Back