Technical Which oil

Currently reading:
Technical Which oil

timvdl

Hi!

I have a Seicento 899cm³, and I should change the oil. Usually I take 5W40 or 5W30 full synthetic oil, but I was wondering if it would be better to use other oil. Like 15W40, or for example racing oil, such as 10W60?

Greetz,
Tim

As rallycinq. Using a fully synthetic is way OTT for a NA engine in standard tune, and a 5w30 or a 10w60 is unlikely to do your engine any good. Provided the oil meets the range and the specs stated by the manufacturer, the very best thing is regular oil and filter changes and not to cane the little booger when cold.

Myself, I'd use a semi-synthetic in the range suggested by Rallycinq and the manufacturer.

Last edited:
That sounds as an option to me, normally I use 5W40, because the manual recommends that, or 5W30, as first choice (for good lubrication when cold). But 0W40 is even better in that case. The only problem I have is that I'm wondering if 5W40 is good enough when driving high revs when the engine is warm? I always accelerate gently when the engine is cold (max around 3200 rpm), but when warm 4000-5000-6000 is more common (to make some speed for entering a highway for example), and because I'm almost always driving highways the engine makes a lot of revs (the 899cm³ runs @ 120-130km/h around 4000-4500 rpm in 5th gear). Thats why I thought that *W50/60 oil would be better for the engine... Maybe someone can help me with this?

I was using Castrol Magnatec 10w40 in my 899 Cinq.
Changed to Halfords own 10w40 Semi Synthetic in April and it seams to be using less. Plus it was less £££ per bottle and it was buy one get one free week too.

Mine spends a lot of its time at higher revs on the Motorways too.

Just found Castrol's EDGE recommendation for the 1.1 Sei is 0W-30 http://www.ew2.lubesinfo.com/frameset.asp?sid=156&bid=63&sc=1156&langid=1

Looking at datasheets for the 2 side by side 0W-30 seems all round slightly thicker so maybe I should go for 0-30 next time if they seem to think that 0W-30 it is OK?

Thinking I'll leave it in for now but I'm still a novice in my understanding of these engines so where in particular should I be looking if I want to keep an eye out for leaks due to low viscocity?

Oh, it could easily be down to weather conditions or minor variation in fuel (don't think driving style has differed as I've always got a pretty heavy foot) but I only buy BP Ultimate from 1 Garage & I'm convinced my fuel consumption has dropped a little per mile over the past few weeks?

Back