General Which number on my windows is the ISR code?

Currently reading:
General Which number on my windows is the ISR code?

lljkk

Just bought an 18month old Fiat 500.
There are lots of numbers printed on almost all windows.
Some are black and very long, I think they might be about the safety standard of the glass. Eg: "E1 43R 001981" and "AS2 M3232 XEG694"

Another set of numbers are quite pale, in the opposite corner of the window, and read a bit like this "FAY0062", I think this might be the ISR number? It is Not anywhere on the windscreen, though.

What do you think? Which is ISR number?

-Clueless of Norfolk

Thanks I will look for phone number.

The online consensus seems to be that not worth paying £21 to be updated with ISR. But if I have the ISR number, I wonder if that might help cops to trace it as my car. Not that it will ever get stolen, you understand.

The online consensus seems to be that not worth paying £21 to be updated with ISR.

That'd be my view also.

Back in the old days, there was a time when it was fashionable to have the car's registration number etched into the windows, the idea being that no thief would steal a car if they had to replace all the glass before selling it.

One winter, some kids chucked a hard snowball at my rear screen, smashing it. To keep the cost down, I just got another one from the scrappie (they weren't bonded in then, so an easy DIY swap). The replacement was, obviously, etched with the reg of the donor car. Through all of the 8 years & 8 MOT's after the swap, noone ever noticed or commented on the mismatched windows - including the chap I ended up selling it on to.

So much for the extra security of uniquely etched glass!

We bought our 500 when it was only six months old from an independent reseller. I called ISR and quoted the number etched on the windows and I provided our details. They subsequently sent out confirmation that the vehicle details were now registered in my wife's name and it was done for free. I believe it was only done for free, because the vehicle had not been formally owned by a private individual, but was formally a Fiat Fleet supplied vehicle.

Personally, even if I had had to pay, 20 odd quid hardly matters if the car got nicked. Anything to help retrieve the vehicle would have been worth it to me personally. Our old MX5 was registered and I was also careful to inform ISR that we had sold it on and that our details should be deleted from the record on that vehicle.

I should add, that if you replace your windscreen or any other window, you should of course have the existing ISR number etched onto the new window.

Last edited:
We bought our 500 when it was only six months old from an independent reseller. I called ISR and quoted the number etched on the windows and I provided our details. They subsequently sent out confirmation that the vehicle details were now registered in my wife's name and it was done for free. I believe it was only done for free, because the vehicle had not been formally owned by a private individual, but was formally a Fiat Fleet supplied vehicle.

Personally, even if I had had to pay, 20 odd quid hardly matters if the car got nicked. Anything to help retrieve the vehicle would have been worth it to me personally. Our old MX5 was registered and I was also careful to inform ISR that we had sold it on and that our details should be deleted from the record on that vehicle.

I should add, that if you replace your windscreen or any other window, you should of course have the existing ISR number etched onto the new window.

How would a potential thief know whether or not the registration is up to date? Paying to update it seems like a complete waste of time to me - the value is in the deterrent effect of the etching surely?

How would a potential thief know whether or not the registration is up to date? Paying to update it seems like a complete waste of time to me - the value is in the deterrent effect of the etching surely?

Agreed, we've 4 cars in the household, all with ISR details, one we've owned from new, but doubt they know we moved house 11 years ago, and the other 3 we're not the original owners, I'm not stumping up £80 just to update some paperwork.

One vehicle has a tracker, better money spent than the ISR fee imho.

You are of course correct, how would a thief possibly know whether or not the ISR registration was up to date? But it wouldn't really take much of a rocket scientist to work out that if there is a brand new 500 sat on someones drive, then it is more than likely that the ISR details will be recorded with the present owner. Not all car thieves are thick! Then again, I hazard a guess, the potential car thief wouldn't give a monkeys chuff anyway, and would still nick it.

Whilst the whole idea may seem utterly pointless to yourself, there are others out there that have a different opinion. As previously stated, I didn't actually pay to have our ISR details updated anyway, so the cost aspect is irrelevant to me, but like I said before, I would have cheerfully paid the 20 odd quid, it's tea money.

Concerning MEP's post of having a tracker fitted to a vehicle, I'm assuming that those private individuals with trackers fitted, pay zero subscription fees for continued cover once/if their initial subscription has expired? I will admit, I know very little about how subscription works on tracker fitted cars, but when I looked at getting one fitted to my own car, it seemed quite an expensive option on a yearly basis. Granted, trackers can be superb at retrieving stolen vehicles - except those that make their way into a container and are shipped out of the country quicker than foreign government wanted suspects. And let's be clear on this, not all tracker fitted cars are recovered, so you pays your money and takes your chances.

I've gone for a none subscription one personally.

That's great, will you oblige by letting me know which tracking company/scheme you are using? I would like to make use of a non subscription company, clearly makes things a lot cheaper and hopefully, will reduce my insurance costs as well.

I was assuming from your previous quote, that you had or were paying for a tracking subscription? (One vehicle has a tracker, better money spent than the ISR fee imho. quote).

Last edited:
That's great, will you oblige by letting me know which tracking company/scheme you are using? I would like to make use of a non subscription company, clearly makes things a lot cheaper and hopefully, will reduce my insurance costs as well.

I was assuming from your previous quote, that you had or were paying for a tracking subscription? (One vehicle has a tracker, better money spent than the ISR fee imho. quote).

Nope, I ment more that I'd rather splash more cash on a tracker than 'paper work' so to speak.

I use a tramigo T22, about £200-£250, although if you shop about I'm sure they can be found cheaper probably. All managed yourself with a sim card, so can either put a pay monthly sim in, or pay as you go.

Tramigo have a great app which is supported by iPhones and Android I believe.

The thing that I don't like about subscription units, is that normally you cannot track your own vehicle, only should it be stolen will their tracker be activated, and its only then the Police with said equipment which can track the source.

This however is handy if wanting to see where a family member / friend is with your car, allows you to set it up in a way where it does what you want. IE only sends you a location when you ping it to, or you can set it up to contact you when it leaves a certain radius / vehicle goes over a certain speed etc.

Only downside is that it isn't insurance recognised. However trackers (form experience) that are recognised rarely reduce a premium, its just they they'll be required as part of the T&C's of a policy on a high value vehicle (£40-£50K+).

Back