General which handles better seicento or mini?

Currently reading:
General which handles better seicento or mini?

Metalguru3

Hi folks,
got into an almost heated debate at work today about handling.
As no one who I work with has been for a neck jarring in my Seicento, I don't expect them to accept these innocent looking cars can in fact cause ligament injuries when cornering! Everyone thinks I've got a joke car to be honest!!
I've got Yoko A539 175/50x13's on and having rallied a couple of Mini's in my youth, reckon my Fiat is at least equal to a well sorted Mini. Not sure about the BMW jobbie though.
I'm only on about the twisty stuff up to 40mph though, I know after that power becomes more important having come equal to Mini 1275's and Micra 1400's on autotests on short courses, but destroyed by them on the longer, more open tests.
Has anyone got both or at least recent driving experience in both Mini and Seicento, only I've challenged a Mini 1000 (with mildly tuned engine) owner to a race on some twisty lanes. I'm not a bad driver, but also I'm no Colin McRae So what are my chances?(n)or(y)

As far as i'm concerned it's no contest.... a Mini hands down every time.
I'm constantly reminded (ie nagged from the passenger seat!) whenever i try to drive my '01 Abarth Sporting like i drive my '98 Cooper Sportspack that they don't handle the same.

Still miss my '89 Mini City rust bucket with it's 1275 engine, SLK Merc driver was not impressed when i stuck with him on a 'twisty road', he braked for corners - i had a Mini.

You can't compare the new not so mini to a seicento, it's the same as comparing the Sei to a Fiesta or polo, in fact both thous cars are actually small than the new not so mini, so with that in mind you can only compare it to the original mini, which, hands down in stock form the mini wins, but once played with the Centos are an even match for an original mini. In fact I do remember even Clarkson said it was a good alternative to a mini and could seriously hold its own against the original.

Standard v Standard?......... Mini easily. Cento's are too rolly and understeery. Cinqs are better than sei's handling wise IMO purely because the unassisted steering has a much nicer feel for turn in and the fact they are slightly lighter just makes them that fraction more responsive to inputs. The sei is slightly stiffer though.

Tweaked Cento V Standard mini?........... much closer. I genuinely believe my cinq is almost a match for any standard mini in all areas. But it's not fair to compare a modified car to a standard one.

I had a mini 1000, bog standard on 145/80/r10 tyres and new rubber doughnuts.

Never seen a car handle so well. Mr Isigonis really did his homework on weight distribution.

Statistically the mini has it hands down, lower c of g, lighter, narrower, shorter.

But the cinq-sei are nicer to drive everyday.

I too used to go giant killing on twisty roads and roundabouts in my min and the cento. Love the cinq, loved the mini more I think.

So mini in standard spec.

It would depend on the course and driver. You're right about the BMW MINI it wouldn't be much of a contest.
The newer 13 inch wheel Mini and Sportspack editions would be an easy win for the Seicento, 12 inch Cooper a close call but 10 inch wheeled Mini's especially a 1275GT would walk away from the Seicento on a short handling course.

On the road twenty years ago it would be a similar tale but the state of modern roads makes owning a Mini a ridiculous prospect.

....whenever i try to drive my '01 Abarth Sporting like i drive my '98 Cooper Sportspack they don't handle the same....
I have to admit my '98 Sportspack isn't standard- lowered, quickrack, fully adjustable suspension etc etc.
A standard 13" wheeled Mini vs a Sei Sporting then the Sei would probably take it BUT the sporting is 'modified' compared to a SX or S due to it's suspension & gearing.

"the state of modern roads makes owning a Mini a ridiculous prospect" :confused:
What? -driving an old car that requires occasional repairs & replacement parts? Have you ever owned a Cinq or Sei :p

Got to agree mini win hands down in terms of handling/ driving quick.

Standard vs standard - Mini
Mod vs mod - Mini

I'll had both, but in everyday sense i think the cinq is an all around better car.

Ming

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Having had a major love affair with a Mini 1275 in my youth I'm still undecided - they beat me by a second or so on a short 50 second-ish course but that's a lifetime as everybody is crammed in a 48 second (micra's), 50 second (mini 1275) to 55 second (fiesta's, Punto's etc) space.

At least I was competitive even with Nankangs at 51 seconds, cant wait to try out the Yoko's on warm dry tarmac

I think I love both - just can't afford another Mini

have to agree with the consensus here, the mini is just a better handling car, even my stock mini mayfair i had when i was younger was better than a cento handling wise..

Having known a lad with a heavily breathed on mini clubman 1275gt out and about the mini was all over my sei turbo on twisties but the seiT held its own on the wider sweepier turns and completely monstered it on straights.. Overall the seiT was significantly faster but i would expect a mini with a decent driver to be very hard to beat in a cento on something like a autocross event, the saving grace would be the PAS in such an event but that itself is the worst part of a sei in my view and why i prefer cinqs over seis

I genuinely think though that even standard, the cinq is a better car all round. It's not as fast, doesn't handle near as well etc, but it's pretty much every bit as fun to drive in it's own way, more comfortable, practical etc. To live with day in day out i'd rather have a cinq any day of the week.

If i had a Mini, i'd also need to hire my own chiropractor due to the driving position.

Back