Technical Which break pads to buy ?

Currently reading:
Technical Which break pads to buy ?

robdyk

Hello all.

How do I know which brake pads to buy ? (scudo 1.6EL - 1997)
Mostly I find 2 systems: Lucas/TRW and Bosch bendix.
Both have different dimensions.
So which one should I choose ?

Often the choice will be with/without ABS, or perhaps which factory it was built in, but this is not picked up by the aftermarket suppliers. Most aftermarket suppliers do however show pictures of the shapes of the pads. Easiest way to choose is to remove a wheel and just have a look, see which you've got. It is the way most garages will do it.

I had a feeling you would going to say this.
Ok thanks.

Any decent factors or even Halfords will let you buy both sets and bring one back.

Keep one of the old pads so you don't have the same dilemma next time.

Any decent factors or even Halfords will let you buy both sets and bring one back.

Keep one of the old pads so you don't have the same dilemma next time.

They shouldn't. Unless the pack shows a pic of the pad shape and size and can be returned unopened. A long time ago, before I left the parts supply industry, legislation made the sale of previously opened brake friction products illegal. Boxes were then sealed, and opened boxes were not acceptable for return, unless faulty. Most good suppliers started putting line drawings of the pad on the box to enable selection without opening the box.

(Sad the stuff stuck in the far reaches of my brain!)

I took the wheel off sunday, and saw: Bosch stamped on the brake pad. They still had about 5mm of friction(0,13 inch).
At least I now which one to buy, but with 5mm friction, I can drive a few months more before I actually replace them.

Back