General Where can I get a replacement Solar Sensor cover?!

Currently reading:
General Where can I get a replacement Solar Sensor cover?!

TobyH

Hi Guys,

So I had my car hand cleaned at my local supermarket a few months ago, and they appear to have knocked the cover off of my solar sensor on the dashboard. I looked for it but I think they hoovered it up. I have had enough of looking at the ugly thing now (as it is a bright green nob without the cover). I have spent some time googling 'solar sensor cover' and various other descriptions but to no avail. Thought I would come and ask the experts here for some advice on where I can try and find a replacement as it looks hideous!!! I don't have time to root around scrap yards on the off-chance they have something suitable.

I'm presuming other Fiat models will use the same sensor. See the picture I have attached that I got from google, but it is the exact same model as mine.

Many thanks in advance,
Toby.

Attachments

• fiatbravo.jpg
    fiatbravo.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 447
search for part 735407581

It's the same part with GP,evo,new punto models etc. You can order it at a fiat dealer.

Whats the solar sensor for?

Sensing solars of course
devil.gif

It's fitted to cars with climate control air conditioning and senses solar (infrared) radiation coming through the windscreen. This is an input to the climate control which cranks up (temperature down) a bit to compensate for the sun shining on the occupants.

Robert G8RPI.

I wonder if the missing cap makes the sensor report higher Lux values.

I wonder if the missing cap makes the sensor report higher Lux values.

It will have an effect as it filters the incident light and integrates the energy over a hemisphere. Many such sensors do not have a light (IR) detector but just a black thermally conductive dome with temperature sensor attached to the back.

Robert G8RPI.

Do you have dual zone heating? If not,it's just a dummy sensor to fill in the hole in the dash.They even fit them to bog standard Grande Puntos with out air con,so pretty common.

Last edited:
I ordered the 735407581 part from eBay but I wonder if it's just a cap for cars which don't have the sensor installed?

And if so, if I can reuse the cover to cover the solar sensor, if it's the same material. Will see.

I ordered the 735407581 part from eBay but I wonder if it's just a cap for cars which don't have the sensor installed?

And if so, if I can reuse the cover to cover the solar sensor, if it's the same material. Will see.

If it's the right material it will transmit infra-red (IR) light. If you have a TV etc with an IR remote control put the cap (without the green part) over the remote control LED and see if the control still works. Reduced range is OK but if it stops it working completely it is likely the wrong material.

Robert G8RPI.

Did it fit? I have to replace my cover also, exactly the same thing happend to me...:mad:

Back