General When did the front badge change?

Currently reading:
General When did the front badge change?

Just picked up this little beauty at auction, which said it's a 1969, but the earliest year I can find that used the blue Fiat badge seems to be 1974. The wife really wants the period badge so somehow going to have to get that sorted out. It needs some work, hoping nothing too major. There's some dents to sort out and the offside rear wheel arch looks to be mostly filler.

If anyone knows anything about this particular car I'd love to hear about it!

- Colin

recc31463-2_1.jpg

recc31463-2_12.jpg

recc31463-2_13.jpg

At a glance I wondered if you might have a Fiat 500R there with 500L bumpers fitted. Front badge and wheels look 500R, crankcase looks 500 but cylinder head may be 126, a picture of the cylinder head top front would be useful as would the engine number. Chassis number should give the year. Original 500R would have a 594cc engine fitted with a Weber 24IMB carb. You may have that carb or a 126 Weber 28IMB from the picture.

OK, interesting, we don't have it with us yet, got it at auction on Saturday and is being delivered this week. This is the auction listing with more pictures: https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/1969-fiat-500-recc31463-2-warwick-0623?el=5677&pn=2&pp=100
It's almost certainly an "L", as it's not likely someone would retrofit the plastic-covered dashboard or door panels. As such, although it has the wrong badge, you also wouldn't like the correct one as that is the squarish version. The bumpers are correct. This means the wheels aren't technically the correct ones, but I think they look good. You might be able to hide the oblong recess under the winged badge, but if the car ends up needing extensive work (fingers crossed not), you could change the front panel to suit.

As Dave says, you did well on price. The chassis number looks right for 1969. :)

......but 1968 isn't the cut-off year for the older badge appearing on the 500F in the UK. I had a 1971 registerd "F" in 1983, so prior to too much meddling going on, and it had the "winged" badge. Murf is late 1969 and is the same from new.
Yes, had loads of 126, 850, 127, 128, 131, 132 with the black background, white lettering well into the 70’s…but the blue background one did start randomly appearing, hadn’t had any blue ones, personally, till my Uno…but my dads ‘78 127 had a blue background?!?

Thanks everyone! Really useful information. Great to hear you think it's a good price, I did too, but you never know. I'm guessing it'll need a bit of work, hopefully not too much, but overall we're very excited to be finally getting one. I'll have loads more questions in the coming week and months. Thanks gain.

Colin

Back