General Wheel sizes

Currently reading:
General Wheel sizes

pmcunha89

Hi everyone
Looking at upgrading my wheels soon.
Got coilovers ordered, so going to lower it down a little.
But my dilema now comes with all the tyre sizes, wheel size, offset and spacers.
whats the benefits of 16" over 17" and vice versa?
what wheel and tyre size would you recommend, and do i need spacers for that? im a noob when it comes to it, and dont want to order the wrong stuff :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_3096.JPG
    IMG_3096.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
The 500 hasnt changed mucj in the last 15 years..

So plenty of good info on here :)

Yes.. too low an Aspect Ratio will ruin the ride (n)
so does that mean i should stick to 16's if i want to keep a decent ride? i thought about 205/45 16.
will that fit okay without rubbing? also was thinking on 16" wheels with 6.5J width. would that be good?

16" is a good compromise

As I said .

The Geometry from 2008 is probably still relevant..

Look at old threads..
Maybe @Noxide
On my previous twinair I had Abarth 17's and it was fine but the ride was certainly harsher and the steering heavier for sure. Not enough to be an issue for me though.

However my current 1.2 has Abarth 16's and the car is more nimble and the ride more comfortable.

The 16's have a larger sidewall so this stands to reason and is better for our potholed roads.

Hope this assists.

If the wheels with the 195/45x16 tyre in post #1 is your current wheels, and not some random photo, then just lower the car first and see what it looks and feels like before deciding on new wheels.

If you decide to go to a 17" wheel, then it will probably be wider by default and the tyre must have a lower aspect ratio to keep the rolling radius consistent, otherwise;

a) Your speedo will be out
b) It will look like a cartoon/balloon tyre (i.e. gash) which undermines half the reason to put bigger wheels on.

So it will inevitably be heavier to steer and have a harsher ride... although not terrible by any means. You'll need a 205/40x17 to replace a 195/45x16.

If you fit a 205/45x16 it will fit but could start looking balloon/gash... and because it's an odd size, it could cost more. A 205/40x17 is a popular "tuner" upgrade so the competition (prices) of this tyre size are very competetive. More than 205/45x16 at any rate.

Anyhow, get the lowering done first then measure up how much space is around the wheel/tyre combo' before deciding how much space you have and want to fill.

Ralf S.

If the wheels with the 195/45x16 tyre in post #1 is your current wheels, and not some random photo, then just lower the car first and see what it looks and feels like before deciding on new wheels.

If you decide to go to a 17" wheel, then it will probably be wider by default and the tyre must have a lower aspect ratio to keep the rolling radius consistent, otherwise;

a) Your speedo will be out
b) It will look like a cartoon/balloon tyre (i.e. gash) which undermines half the reason to put bigger wheels on.

So it will inevitably be heavier to steer and have a harsher ride... although not terrible by any means. You'll need a 205/40x17 to replace a 195/45x16.

If you fit a 205/45x16 it will fit but could start looking balloon/gash... and because it's an odd size, it could cost more. A 205/40x17 is a popular "tuner" upgrade so the competition (prices) of this tyre size are very competetive. More than 205/45x16 at any rate.

Anyhow, get the lowering done first then measure up how much space is around the wheel/tyre combo' before deciding how much space you have and want to fill.

Ralf S.
Thank you, I will lower the car on Sunday, and will have a look what i will decide.... but probably stay with the same size wheels, just get different ones instead then.... ive seen photos of a few that i like the look of...
thank you for your help though!! appreciate it

Back