Technical Wheel Bolts

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel Bolts

Red Van Man

My Fiorino's a Qubo..
I have the standard alloys on my Qubo and today swapped over to winter tyres on the old steels from the Fiorino.

Can anyone say if the bolts for alloys are different from steel wheels' bolts? The sockets on the alloys are deeper than on the steels although they tightened up ok. Just wondering...

IMG_2666.jpg
Alloy wheel and the bolts from those alloys showing the deeper socket

IMG_2667.jpg
Bolt next to the steelie bolt hole

R-V-M

Yes I agree with MEP, they'll be fine. I have the same alloys as RVM but a steel spare and they fit OK. (y)

My original wheel bolts were corroding within 12 months so I changed them for a set of stainless ones from fleabay.

Hmm - I sent to fleabay for a set of locking bolts for when I put Stilo Blades on the van and after I'd had them a good long time I went to fit them and they were totally the wrong thread. Said Fiat on the packet though.. :(

Can you find a link for the SS bolts please? Sounds like a better idea. The steels will have covers on when I get back home but on the alloys they show all the time and get splashed with all sorts off the road.

Cheers,

R-V-M (still chasing a spare and the mounting accessories that go with it - I've asked Sturgess Man for the set and a price..)

Hi R-V-M
The bolts I bought from HERE and I bought 12 for £11.88 last year, but it seems like they're priced as single ones now and more expensive.

Quality is very good and they're still shiny (y)
Although I got 19mm length and they're a tad short, I should have gone for 24mm. Still, I haven't lost a wheel yet and it makes for faster pit-stops ;)

:idea: Can't you use a winter steel wheel as your spare in summer and an alloy in winter?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've just checked the eBay store above and prices vary, so it might be worth phoning. e.g. 24mm bolts HERE are £1.26 instead of £1.76 :confused:

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi R-V-M
:idea: Can't you use a winter steel wheel as your spare in summer and an alloy in winter?

Now there's a thought! I'll look at the links too, thank you.
Just put 'my' number plates back on it so it feels more like mine again now :p

Brief attempt to clip the wheel discs on but it appears they are trapped by the bolts - is that the case? It was dark when I was messing so not spent much time checking - too b*** cold as well!

R-V-M

Now there's a thought! I'll look at the links too, thank you.
Just put 'my' number plates back on it so it feels more like mine again now :p

Brief attempt to clip the wheel discs on but it appears they are trapped by the bolts - is that the case? It was dark when I was messing so not spent much time checking - too b*** cold as well!

R-V-M

OLDER FIAT wheel trims were held on by 3 x bolts,
# 4th was slotted so you could "hang" it on the 1st bolt ( next to valve)

not sure if yours is this style, :confused:
for info,

FIAT IT. use m12 x 1.5 mm pitch on most vehicles,
the GM led Punto's ( GP) use M12 x 1.25 pitch..,
that's why your FIAT bolts didn't fit :eek:

Charlie

OLDER FIAT wheel trims were held on by 3 x bolts, 4th was slotted so you could "hang" it on the 1st bolt ( next to valve)

Not sure if yours is this style :confused:

For info, FIAT IT. use m12 x 1.5 mm pitch on most vehicles,
the GM led Punto's ( GP) use M12 x 1.25 pitch..,
that's why your FIAT bolts didn't fit :eek:

Charlie

Well..!
The trims I have, do have an odd cutout on one of the 4 bolt holes and I looked on the back and there's a symbol moulded in next to that odd hole - now you say it I realise it's a tyre valve - I was making it out to be a locking wheel bolt key and wrench.. By 'hanging it', do you mean whilst you got the other bolts into their holes?

I guess that pitch error would be consistent with the difference you specified. At least I could resell them as Fiat bolts if there is this difference between Italian and GM ones. Mad. Inconsistency between suppliers.

R-V-M

Well..!
The trims I have, do have an odd cutout on one of the 4 bolt holes and I looked on the back and there's a symbol moulded in next to that odd hole - now you say it I realise it's a tyre valve - I was making it out to be a locking wheel bolt key and wrench.. By 'hanging it', do you mean whilst you got the other bolts into their holes?

I guess that pitch error would be consistent with the difference you specified. At least I could resell them as Fiat bolts if there is this difference between Italian and GM ones. Mad. Inconsistency between suppliers.

R-V-M

yes- you mount the wheel with 1 bolt / near valve, then hang the trim , and add the other 3 x bolts.(y)

the GM wheels / hubs use a 100mm PCD , whereas "FIAT" use a 98mm pcd

Vauxhall wheels fit the Grande Punto..,;)

Charlie

Yes- you mount the wheel with 1 bolt / near valve, then hang the trim and add the other 3 x bolts.(y)

The GM wheels / hubs use a 100mm PCD , whereas "FIAT" use a 98mm pcd

Vauxhall wheels fit the Grande Punto..,;)

Charlie

I know this will seem like going backwards as I had a van with these trims on (I don't remember taking them off to put on the alloys - Mr Fitter did that as he fitted the lot) - but just thinking of tightening wheel bolts onto a plastic trim which then get wound up tight enough to hold on the wheels... it's a bit of a dodgy combination isn't it? One might think the bolts would just chew the plastic lip under them straight off..

I had thought, on getting the van that I'd be putting on the cable ties to stop tea leaves ripping off me trims :mad:

Paul

Back