Currently reading:
500 What’s this

Rav81

Hi any idea what this could be it’s hanging off the underside of my car

Attachments

• D3CB400F-EF7B-4265-986D-8D0BB9C7AF9D.jpeg
    D3CB400F-EF7B-4265-986D-8D0BB9C7AF9D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 276
The strip runs underneath on all versions, Abarth Included. I think of it as a warning when maybe parking up to a kerb.

I'd leave it alone, its not doing any harm

Thank you - this is what I wanted to know - how important is it and if I decided to cut it off is it a problem

Quite a few manufacturers have a semi rigid strip like this under the front bumper. I've given it some passing thought from time to time and I think it's an aerodynamic aid. It's helping to limit/modify/control airflow under the car which gives increased stability at higher speeds and possibly contributes to better fuel efficiency and lower emissions by reducing drag? - look at circuit racers and you'll see they have "splitters" like this which almost drag on the ground. This video explains it in quite simple language (sorry about the presenter): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjiThF1LXU Look from around 8 minutes in to see about front splitter/air dams.

Unless you drive like a lunatic I doubt if you will notice any difference if you cut your damaged one off?

Great thanks guys - I was pulling out my drive and a bus driver pulled up and said there’s something hanging off the car!
The video is informative I just didn’t want to her rid of it and find it’s needed!

As Jock describes, it is an air dam, to help airflow and stability at speed.

It also has a second function. It is usually the lowest part of the car, and designed that if it contacts anything, it makes a lot of noise, when it causes the bumper to vibrate along with it, so frightening the driver into not continuing.
For example, when parking towardsa a kerb, this air dam will contact teh kerb and make noise, before any real damage is done, and hopefully the driver stops before the sump hits something solid. Looks like it might have met this sort of challenge recently, hence the damage.

If you remove it, you need to remember that you may have no warning before something important hits something, so watch where you're going.

If these are originally stapled, I'm thinking drilling a few holes through both parts and either fitting nuts, bolts & washers, or using rivets. Given the relative fragility of the plastic and rubber materials, I'd also use washers with the rivets.

The latter method should give a 'better than new' repair.

Last edited:
If these are originally stapled, I'm thinking drilling a few holes through both parts and either fitting nuts, bolts & washers, or using rivets. Given the relative fragility of the plastic and rubber materials, I'd also use washers with the rivets.

The latter method should give a 'better than new' repair.

If it's like the one on my old car it will have split at the 90 degree bend between where it's attached to the bumper and where it turns to go down under the car rather then just comming in attached its hard to tell from.the photo

Back