Whats the difference between 0ct95 / Shell v-power ?

Currently reading:
Whats the difference between 0ct95 / Shell v-power ?

Shell V-Power is a high octane unleaded petrol (99 RON). This enhanced octane rating is designed to help provide improvements in power delivery and to help drivers achieve maximum performance from octane responsive engines. And even vehicles designed for standard octane levels may benefit.

.....the above also lifted from the V-Power site........Note the use of the words "designed" "help" and "may".

The term "High-Octane" is a classic advertising Buzz-word. People hear it and automaticaly, think... power and speed! The adverstising companies know this and its why they use the term frequently. The whole site is full of meaningless tech-speak and repetative statements. Look between the lines, its designed to make you believe the fuel is something special without providing hard evidence and yet at the same time cleverly worded so that it does not mislead......a masterpiece of the ad-agents art if ever I read one, not surprising really as Shell have the money to pay for the best ad-agencies.

This is the way I read it.

Shell V-power is a higher than average RON unleaded petrol. We say its higher than average so people think they are getting something special when in actual fact RON on its own has nothing to do with power or ecconomy and the owners of the very small number of cars in the UK that were actually designed to run on a higher than average RON fuel might buy it so it we might increase our potential market and profit.
We have tried to design this higher than average RON petrol to provide extra performance with engines that are designed to run on higher than average RON petrol. We cant prove this or back it up independently so the ASA wont let us say it will, only that it might.
If you use it in a car designed to run on average RON petrol you might see some benefits but we arent saying why and cant prove prove it anyway, so the ASA will only let us use the word might.

sweeeeet, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well the fact that shell have the money to work in advertising is ssssooooooooooooooooooooo correct, i work in the oil industry and shell are my main client, and money they do certianly have,

You maybe wondering why the hell i dont know about the v-power question, well i work in a different area to downstream fuels, so have no idea about the final product.

well then if my stillo MIGHT not benefit power and speed, will it bennafit in keeping the engine cleaner and run smoother and higher milage???

well then if my stillo MIGHT not benefit power and speed, will it bennafit in keeping the engine cleaner and run smoother and higher milage???
if we ignore the argument about the effectiveness of fuel additive detergents and accept that they do actually lead to cleaner injectors and valves in the long run, then the benefit will be improved compression and more even fueling when your engine is at a high mileage (compared to a similar high mileage engine that did not use detergents). that will result in more power and better fuel economy.

however imo adding redex to your cylinders does a much better job so there is no benefit availalbe that you could not get using redex, plus you would save money using redex in your cylinders.

Last edited:
I haven't read this topic...

But here is a piston that's been ran with optimax.

DSCF1428.jpg

This is one use one ran on 95 RON

DSCF1429.jpg

This is out of the same engine. the reason for the hole is running on 95 RON and it caused DET.

what hole?

those 2 pics make the most unfair comparison i have ever seen.

for a start how you can run one piston on a different fuel source to another piston?
and even assuming you could, that wouldnt be a fair test becasue the lower octane cylinder would suffer pinking, which would not happen normally, so the condition of the cylinder can not be considered to be indicitive of a usual 95ron cylinder's condition.

plus we dont know how many miles this test involved, or what condition it was in before.

which engine was it? what fuel is it meant to run on? was it able to detect knock per cylinder or only overall? could ignition advance be altered per cylinder or only overall? etc etc etc etc.

you cant even compare them in terms of how clean they are because pinking will cause major deposits no matter what difference a detergent makes and pinking would not occur when using either fuel if you use the correct fuel for the car so that dirty cylinder isnt actually what a 95ron cylinder would look like, only a cylinder with constant pinking, which could happen with any octane fuel if the ignition timing is incorrect. (if that is indeed what happened in that pic, personally i do not think it did because it looks like misfire fouling at worse, or normal carbon deposits rather than pinking).

assuming this test did indeed allow different fuels to be used on different cylinders, then all this proves is that constant pinking is not good for your cylinders, which is already well known and the reason you cant use 95ron in a jap import for example. it tells us nothing about the effect of a higher octane or a detergent additive in the long or short term. basically its a pointless comparison and compeltely unfair.

Last edited:
i think we're expected to believe the middle cylinder was run on a higher octane to the other cylinders. :ROFLMAO:

to be honest, if i took that head off, i'd take the clean cylinder as evidence of a problem, not the dirty one. the dirty one is a normal cylinder (even at 20k), the clean one has a problem, possibly serious underfueling. the piston face also looks slightly warped at 11/12oclock so i think there is a serious compression problem on that cylinder and it has cleaned itself using engine oil, which could easily enter the cylinder past that dodgy piston.

Last edited:
Mr Alfa, i just clicked on your car picture, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sweeeeeeeeeeet

How come you know so much about cars, what do you do for a living, if thats not to personal.

i'm a business analyst so i dont know anything about cars at all. i simply meditate at my computer and as if by magic these posts write themselves. my psychiatrist doesnt believe me but i suspect he isnt fully qualified, why else would his office be a public toilet?

Last edited:
i'm a business analyst so i dont know anything about cars at all. i simply meditate at my computer and as if by magic these posts write themselves. my psychiatrist doesnt believe me but i suspect he isnt fully qualified, why else would his office be a public toilet?

Ha aha ha aha funny :yum::yum::yum:

Back