Whats the difference between 0ct95 / Shell v-power ?

Currently reading:
Whats the difference between 0ct95 / Shell v-power ?

What is the diff between

normal cheap 95
shell v-power
oct 98

obviously there is a difference as the oct is higher, but can you use all 3 of these in a modern Stilo, and what are the REAL gains or disavantages of these fuels ????

:idea:

You can use in all unleaded cars, The claim is better MPG because the fuel is combustable easier, and I think I remember someone saying its very slightly cleaner and has better lubricating properties.

I done a little experiment last year with 99 oct fuel against 95 oct and ran my car for 6 months on 99oct. Although it worked out more expensive, I got the same price per mile out of a tank which meant it cost the same ultimatly to run my car, but filled up about 15 miles later per tank, and for what it was worth and what is seemed I decided to go back to 95 oct. (at the time of filling up it seems better on the pocket)

And there is the odd super car that will only run on 99oct!

(Think its RON not OCT in UK? can't remember lol.)

No it won't. But to see the best results on using this type of fuel it is best to use it from when a car is new I would have said. You might notice more power when putting your foot down aswell. I was only trying it in a 769CC (17 years old as well) Panda around town so didn't really notice this, but on a car with a bigger engine the affects might be better.

I think it might be worth a try because of the fact yours is a newer and slightly more powerful car. A tip though, If you fill up with the better stuff do it with a really empty tank so your not mixing it to much with the cheaper stuff and run the test for at least about 3 months (depending upon your mileage) to have made sure there isn't any of the old stuff in your tank.

Last edited:
every trial and test has shown exactly the same thing, there is no benefit at all unless your car is specifically designed to run on the higher octane (in which case you must use the higher octane to prevent pinking)

why is there no benefit? all modern cars can accurately control the fueling and ignition, the map used to calculate ignition timing is based on the assumption that a certain octane fuel will be used. if you dont change that map then you cant affect the ignition when a higher octance is used, so there can be no benefit when you use a higher octane.

the ecu cant detect an increase in octane above the expected level, until that fact changes there can be no benefit. the only time there is a change in ignition is when you use a lower octane than is required, then there will be pinking, which your knock sensor will pick up, and hence the engine will lose performance as the ecu retards ignition timing to suit the lower octane (so you can actually use crapper fuel and still run the engine). the ecu can only advance ignition timing back up to the default level, which occurs at the expected octane. a higher octane will not result in any further advance to ignition because knock is no longer occuring so the ecu is happy that the correct ignition timing is in use, even though in theory it could be advanced slightly more with the higher octane, but the ecu doesnt know that so it doesnt do anything about it.

if you remapped your ecu to have a more advanced ignition map you could get a benefit from using higher octane fuel, but you would then need to use only the higher octane fuel, and not the regular 95ron, because that would result in almost constant pinking and constant ignition adjustment (retardation) which really isnt good for your engine in the long run.

Last edited:
Firstly, great car the old Panda, my first car was a Panda 4x4 sicely, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, went up and down hills better than a range rover, and was truely fantastic to drive....untill i rolled the thing, oooops :bang:

i am a high milage motorway driver, and at current i use V-power, so i will take up the challange for 3 months, i get 1000 km per tank at the moment so in 3 months i will switch to the higher oct and then reasess, i will post the results...

my stilo only has 28.000km about 17,000 miles in an english tounge:yum:

but i drive about 45.000km a year, thats a lot of fuel, so i am a good test point.

Roll on your headlights, 240 watts of raw power, yeeeaaaaa:slayer:

they add kerosene to the fuel as a detergent, so its the same as adding redex, but as has also been proven any fuel based cleaner can not make a significant difference. you would be better off adding redex to your fuel because you can increase the strength of the kerosene mix compared to the tiny amount added to fuel.

Last edited:
they add kerosene to the fuel as a detergent, so its the same as adding redex, but as has also been proven any fuel based cleaner can not make a significant difference. you would be better off adding redex to your fuel because you can increase the strength of the kerosene mix compared to the tiny amount added to fuel.

You would know then that Redex is one of the best things to add to an engine once in a while then! PROVEN! Its the only thing that does what its says, and I mean, the only thing!

so i will stick to the v-power then, as it makes the diff of about 2 pounds a month, surely thats a good price for engine cleaning, well its cheaper than the redex, (which i agree is pretty damn good) (y)

if you really think a mix containing 1% or less kerosene can make any difference you should stop watching the shopping channel. :)

to get a real benefit from redex you need to add it directly to your cylinders via the spark plug holes, then turn the engine over a few times to cover your valves in redex, then leave it for a while before running the engine to burn off the redex and the depositis that are now disolved in it.

adding it to your fuel can only clean the injectors and inlet valve ducts, but in the minute amounts it wont make any difference. the exhaust valves never touch any redex because it is burnt prior to the exhaust stroke, and it is only touching the cylinder side of both valves for a millisecond during the combustion stroke and again only in minute quantities, certainly not enough to clean anything. the redex claim is justified only because it is proven to clean the injectors slightly, that is all.

Last edited:
i have 2 extra lights on the front of my stillo for the winter, they run 100watts a side, plus the normall lights, so thats mor power than you, yeaaaaaaaaaa :slayer:kidding(y)

to get a real benefit from redex you need to add it directly to your cylinders via the spark plug holes, then turn the engine over a few times to cover your valves in redex, then leave it for a while before running the engine to burn off the redex and the depositis that are now disolved in it.

But as you said, it does the job when added directly to the cylinders!

Back