General What's it worth?

Currently reading:
General What's it worth?

The one at the link below sounds like a similar car.
I would offer £10250, we buy any car say it's worth £9500 and the seller would have looked at that but I bet they don't give anything extra for the essessesessessseeesseessesese kit. The dealer that is selling the car on autotrader would only offer you about the same.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309118731454

The one at the link below sounds like a similar car.
I would offer £10250, we buy any car say it's worth £9500 and the seller would have looked at that but I bet they don't give anything extra for the essessesessessseeesseessesese kit. The dealer that is selling the car on autotrader would only offer you about the same.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309118731454

my contact wants 11 bags

on the -ve side it hasn't been serviced at the alloys need a bit of refurb

my contact wants 11 bags

Personally I wouldn't want to go much into 5 figures for it. It might, just, make £11k sold privately on a good day, but I very much doubt anyone in the trade would go much over £9750 for it.

If you really, really want it and are sure it's basically a good 'un, then it just might be worth going up to about £10,500.

Obviously just my personal view.

my contact wants 11 bags

Seriously? The car hasn't been serviced? Not even an oil change? Surely, the car being a 2011 model even with only 8k on the clock must have had at least one service? You are probably well aware, that even Fiat recommend a 'low mileage' service if the car covers less than 6k a year, so I would expect at least some TLC during its current ownership.

Despite the low mileage, if the car hasn't been serviced, I personally wouldn't part with any cash because to me that smacks of a 'can't be bothered' owner, made worse if they are the only previous keeper, and I'd look elsewhere for one with some service history and obvious TLC.

Seriously? The car hasn't been serviced? Not even an oil change? Surely, the car being a 2011 model even with only 8k on the clock must have had at least one service? You are probably well aware, that even Fiat recommend a 'low mileage' service if the car covers less than 6k a year, so I would expect at least some TLC during its current ownership.

Despite the low mileage, if the car hasn't been serviced, I personally wouldn't part with any cash because to me that smacks of a 'can't be bothered' owner, made worse if they are the only previous keeper, and I'd look elsewhere for one with some service history and obvious TLC.

no service, and he has been trying to sell it for 6 months

Clearly then that should be enough to tell you to forget it.

If you were to seriously consider putting money on the table, I'd insist on a full once over by a accredited technician (and make him pay for it - the owner not the technician!) to find out if all is well. If something goes badly wrong, you effectively have little warranty (sold as seen) buying privately, but then you'd know that anyway and I'm not going to teach you to suck eggs!

Last edited:

It's a nice looking car, but still, I'd be asking the question, 'Why haven't you had the car serviced?' This may not seem important to some people and some might think that because it's only done 7.9k it doesn't need it, but I'm afraid it is important, it shows he's cared about the car.

I think he's being far too optimistic with his pricing. He's trying to flog a three year old car which in all likelihood will soon be out of any dealer warranty and possibly up for MOT very soon, for £11k and that imvho, is too much. Why not offer him £9k as a starting point? I wouldn't go above £9.5k. If he's being trying for six months to flog it, every single month that goes by, he's losing money on the car. If he wants rid, he'll let you have it for a much lower price than he's asking. Usual stuff applies though with buying privately, if you are serious, pay for a HPI check to make sure the car hasn't got a hidden accident history/credit issues. You could even insist it has an MOT (especially if the car was registered end of Feb 2011 like my old POP was) before money changes hands - at a garage of your choosing, not his. That might pick up any immediate issues if there are any.

This one is from a dealership so comes with a warranty and some comeback if things go wrong. It is less than the asking price of the one you are looking at with negligble difference in mileage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370910294365

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-ABARTH-500-2011-RED-TMD-CHIP-WITH-ESSESSE-PACK-CRUISE-CONTROL-/271391791855?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f30361aef

This is why I wouldn't offer any more than £9.5k, because of the lack of service history and minor albeit 'cosmetic' damage issues. You'd be better off buying from a dealership imo.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This one is from a dealership so comes with a warranty and some comeback if things go wrong. It is less than the asking price of the one you are looking at with negligble difference in mileage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-ABAR...1791855?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f30361aef

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370910294365

This is why I wouldn't offer any more than £9.5k, because of the lack of service history and minor albeit 'cosmetic' damage issues. You'd be better off buying from a dealership imo.

that isn't an essesse and has standard wheels

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
that isn't an essesse and has standard wheels

I realised that once I'd posted and so I put the other link in.

I still wouldn't pay anywhere near what the seller is asking, but that is me and I drive an extremely hard bargain. I am I'm afraid, a very difficult person to deal with as a certain Mazda salesman once found out two days before Christmas several years ago when I gave him an ultimatum, his Christmas bonus or a PX deal on an old car that wasn't achieveable anywhere else plus a couple of grand off the brand new car I bought. It caused a row in the dealership lol, but hey, I got what I wanted :devil:

(n)(n)

Also it's ax ex-demo & therefore has a previous keeper on the V5C. That will definitely make it harder to sell and harder to get a reasonable price for.

I'd be most surprised if WBAC would pay £9500 for it on the day.

Just how well do you think this chap has treated it for the past six months, knowing he would be selling it soon? Actually from the badly repaired cosmetic damage & lack of servicing, I'd seriously question how well he's treated it, full stop.

I've downgraded my opinion to 'walk away & don't buy at any price'. Sounds to me like a potential heap of trouble.

Last edited:
(n)(n)

Also it's ax ex-demo & therefore has a previous keeper on the V5C. That will definitely make it harder to sell and harder to get a reasonable price for.

Just how well do you think this chap has treated it for the past six months, knowing he would be selling it soon? Actually from the badly repaired cosmetic damage & lack of servicing, I'd seriously question how well he's treated it, full stop.

I've downgraded my opinion to 'walk away & don't buy at any price'. Sounds to me like a potential heap of trouble.

:ROFLMAO:

it a second/third car that has sat unused, so that's why it hasn't been serviced. the Fezza supplying dealer probably quoted him the thick end of a monkey for an oil change using the finest Selenia Racing Abarth nectar from unicorns.

in fact he says he only drove it a few times since he bought it for top money from a Fezza dealer - it was probably their loaner.
so in his hands it hasn't been abused as such but arguably not shown the cossetted love an enthusiast would lavish on it.

the lack of service won't have hurt it but lack of use might have. but you can say that for many used cars that have sat on a dealer forecourt.

thanks for your comments they made me chuckle. (y)

just wanted to get the forum's feelings on these cars

I always thought that 500 ss would plummet after a few years and that makes me glad i never bought one and continue to enjoy the equally fast and better built Bravo T-Jets which are much better vfm

(n)(n)

Would you buy my car jrkitching? = )

Back