General What's best oil

Currently reading:
General What's best oil

Aha! People here don't seem to like talking about oil, even though it's one of the most important things!

I changed the oil in my 2.0 JTD SX (16v), and used Castrol Edge 5w-40, although I'd have preferred to use 10W-40 for the summer. I also prefer to use long-life fully synthetic oil and change it at twice the specified interval (i.e. 9,000 miles), with a new oil filter.

The handbook SEEMS to say, for diesel engines:

SAE 10W-40 synthetic-based multigrade oil exceeding ACEA B3 and API CD specifications (-15 to +40 deg C) (Selenia Turbo Diesel).

SAE 5W-40 synthetic-based multigrade oil exceeding ACEA B3 and API CF specifications (-30 to +30 deg C) (Selenia WR Diesel).

I am not sure what the diagram in the book exactly means re temperature, it isn't very understandable (I think there's crossover with petrol-fuelled models).

Now, the specifications. A bit of a minefield, various supersedures and replacements have happened over the years, and there are equivalents...

ACEA B3:

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

API CD & CF:

The "C" in the designation denotes compression ignition engines. The highet the next letter, the more recent is the oil technology, and the higher letters are backward-compatible with lower letters, although some consideration has to be used.

I think it's a pretty ghastly system, really.

CD Obsolete Caution Not suitable for use in most diesel-powered automotive engines built after 1994 (WHAT?)

CF Obsolete Obsolete Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with over 0.5% weight sulphur. Can be used in place of CD oils.

Looking further:

CI-4: Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are intended for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, CG-4, and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.

So, it LOOKS AS IF and oil meeting ACEA B3 or B4 and API CI-4 should be OK.

HOWEVER: Selenia Turbo Diesel is a "synthetic based" oil ? (semi-synthetic?) ? and is suitable for long-life applications, and is recommended in the handbook.... so it might be best to just order the stuff online for about £30/5L and go with that for the next 9,000 miles.

It all makes my pore 'ead go 'round....

Last edited:
Back