General What tyres!

Currently reading:
General What tyres!

imei

Hi folks, We had some new tyres on our Marea back in June this year (Matador) which have turned out to be a terrible waste of money! They cost us £185 for four and now the front ones are almost down to the wear indicators :mad: Neither my hubby or I are hard drivers although we have to drive an average of 350-400 miles a week. We are finding it such a task to find the best tyres for our needs.... We live in a very remote rural area and travel mainly on single track roads, we don't get much of a summer up here and for most of the year the roads are pretty wet except for the long winter months where we get ice/snow etc. From the info we found in our handbook it looks like the only speed rating acceptable for the Marea tyres are H, but we both feel that we would be better off with a winter tyre all year, the problem is we can't find a winter tyre with the H rating, they seem to be all T rated! Have any of you got any thoughts on this or recommendations for us please?(y)

(y) Many thanks for your thoughts and recommendations everyone! Peter pick-up, thanks for the heads up about the stopping distance will keep that in mind! We had asked for prices on the Pirelli P6 but were told by McConecky's that this tyre had been superseded by the P6000? But we did see that the P6 was recommended for estate vehicles and had hoped that they would be the tyre for us. However after looking through the other links everyone has suggested we have found a good deal more options available and will get in touch with local tyre bays again to see what they can get hold of. Will let you know what we manage to find in the end, thanks again folks!:)

Re: What tires!

Pirelli P6000 and Pirelli P6 are totally different....!!!
Today two versions are available: Pirelli P6 and Pirelli Cinturato P6 ( this is the latest version)
The Pirelli P6000 is an older Pirelli design, and i don't recommend it, they are noisy....!
www.pirelli.co.uk

Why don't you order at delticom, have the tires delivered at your home, and have a local garage fit the tires?
www.mytyres.co.uk

Last edited:

Pirelli P6000 and Pirelli P6 are totally different....!!!
Today two versions are available: Pirelli P6 and Pirelli Cinturato P6 ( this is the latest version)
The Pirelli P6000 is an older Pirelli design, and i don't recommend it, they are noisy....!

Why don't you order at delticom, have the tires delivered at your home, and have a local garage fit the tires?
Thanks Peter, that's what we thought about the P6. We don't want to order online as we have always ended up having to pay a huge surcharge on heavy goods delivered to the Highlands (£9.50 per tyre from the supplier you gave the link too, one of the few downsides of living in the Highlands :rolleyes: ), plus the fact that our local garage don't have balancing equipment. Our nearest tyre suppliers are 35 miles from us and it seems that their tyre availability list is not as good as it could be in a large town/city. We will keep looking though and see what we can find. Hopefully we can go for the Cinturato P6, if you think that this one is the better choice? Many thanks again! (y)

Last edited:
had my marea or eight years now tried lots of tyres but the best by far for performance and cost are barums from national tyres made by continental
bloodt quiet and grippyhope ths helps

I only have experiences with the "normal" Pirelli P6, and I can assure you that it is a remarkable good tire.
Very good roadholding, wet and dry, they don't wear fast at all etc.
The new Pirelli P6 Cinturato is a more "greener" tire from what I understand, they are build with more eco friendly material.
I suppose the characteristics are more or less the same, compare with the "old" P6.

Btw, I love the Highlands, been there several times with different cars ( on sommertires....!!)

Btw, I love the Highlands, been there several times with different cars ( on sommertires....!!)

It is a beautiful place to stay, but like anywhere it can have its downsides, because we are so remote....... and so we do use the internet a lot, we stay almost 100 miles North of Inverness and, because our children school on the North coast we tend to shop up there too. Hence the poor selection of tyre bays! Still we wouldn't change our location and so we accept that there isn't always going to be just what you need locally. (LOL coming up on sommertires.... We have to use the Land Rover during the winter months as the Marea wouldn't even make it down the brae to the road, well it would go down but... not without us ending up down the other side of the road :D:eek::eek:).

Well, you better have two sets of wheels than...!!

4 steel wheels with winter tires, and a set alu (or steel) wheels with sommertires!

Great idea.... actually since you make that point, where am I likely to get a spare wheel as we really don't like the space saver? The Landy does have more than one set...:D for various activities! Hubby's toy and daily drive especially in the winter (y) we really would be lost without it during the winter months.

... From the info we found in our handbook it looks like the only speed rating acceptable for the Marea tyres are H, but we both feel that we would be better off with a winter tyre all year, the problem is we can't find a winter tyre with the H rating, they seem to be all T rated! ...

I believe McConechy’s are Hi-Q dealers – within the Goodyear-Dunlop (+Fulda) envelope. (Matador’s come within the Conti envelope).

What size are you looking for?

Take a look at adac.de (German AA) site …

Winterreifen 2009
http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/default.asp

… select your tyre size, & then click-on [tabelle] for test scores on snow, ice etc.

I have had Goodyear Eagles on my car twice and they are fantastic, not cheapest but great grip nice linear steering feel and very long lived. I found the P6s wore quite fast on the front. Marea Weekends have a big front anti roll bar which does that to the tyres.
The speed rating may vary with engine size, which car do you have?

Back