General What sort of things can i do to my punto to increase performance?

Currently reading:
General What sort of things can i do to my punto to increase performance?

I'm just wondering what sort of tuning can i do to my mk2b 1.2 8v to make it perform better without going crackers?

IF i was to add 16" alloys would my speedo go out of wack and is there anyway of setting it to the normal speed?

Cheers
Anfield

I think you got these silly answers cause you asked a silly question. You can't get any tuning out of these without spending daft money. About £900 will get you to about 80bhp total output which is a lot of money for little gain. Also stick to 15"'s unless you like replacing differentials.

15's it might well be then. I was just wondering yesterday what my little engine the 1.2 8v could do if i floored it. it was a pleasant suprize when i booted it in seconded down a country road. I got 50mph out of second, was proper sounding a beast haha. From a 1.2 8v i think this is marvelous. O yeh if i was to add bigger wheels would the speedo go out of wack and is there anyway of chaning it??

Cheers:slayer:

15's it might well be then. I was just wondering yesterday what my little engine the 1.2 8v could do if i floored it. it was a pleasant suprize when i booted it in seconded down a country road. I got 50mph out of second, was proper sounding a beast haha. From a 1.2 8v i think this is marvelous. O yeh if i was to add bigger wheels would the speedo go out of wack and is there anyway of chaning it??

Yes your speedo will go out of whack, Your acceleration will half, and your diff will break within 10 months (£200-£300) to fix. It can be changed but aint worth the cost to get it adjusted.

It's the punto way.....an M reg 1.1 will do 55ish in second before the rev limiter stops play, really dont bother with the bigger wheels unless you want every single standard punto to eat you off the lights and handle better on country roads where tramlining will be an issue.

I'm just wondering what sort of tuning can i do to my mk2b 1.2 8v to make it perform better without going crackers?

IF i was to add 16" alloys would my speedo go out of wack and is there anyway of setting it to the normal speed?

Cheers
Anfield

Negative bunch ain't they!

As you increase the diameter of the wheels you would accordingly lower the profile of the tyres giving you the same rolling radius. 16" wheels wearing 45 profile tyres are almost exactly the same size as 14" with 65 profile tyres.
And 15" tyres with 50 profile tyres. As the rolling radius is the same your speedo will remain reasonably accurate. As the rolling radius is the same it won't affect the diff at all. If the tyres are a little wider you will get a little more traction. This won't break a diff or snap a shaft. Many people put 100+ bhp through these diffs and boxes. I've only ever heard of high mileage ones breaking and they were hammered. I'm talking MK1 here but its the same engine and box.

But getting power from the 8v isn't easy and it is expensive for what you get.

I would advise you to do lots of searching, and not just on this forum. Then come back with a more purposeful question.

Look in any area that talks 1.2 or 1.1 8v Fiat.

if your car is MPI then you have a fair scope for tuning. PM oldschool, or look on the website (its in the links section, called GSR)
get some headwork done, bigger TB, and a proper remap, and it will be fast enough for a lot of people. your talking about 95bhp. but even N/A, these engines can put out 120bhp, though it does require a lot of money and effort. it would be cheaper to buy a faster car.

Yeah but after all that work there not that drivable in everyday conditions cause of the power and torque delivery and the fact you need revvvvvv's to get the power not to mention the kangaroo effect at low rpm while in traffic due to the knife edge cams :eek:. Personally moneys better spent on a faster car to begin with something thats tunable but without turned into a race engine.

Back