Technical What rust constitutes to an MOT failure

Just cleaning the Sisley up ready for eBay and noticed this :cry: :(

So much for a clean car :rolleyes: :bang:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Buggar.

Sorry MEP don't like the look of that!
Hard to imagine that that is on the inside of the car!
Get the welder out and cut your losses

Sorry MEP don't like the look of that!
Hard to imagine that that is on the inside of the car!
Get the welder out and cut your losses

Well car will be going as it is. Had enough of it, MOT until end of OCT so we'll see how auction goes. To say I'm pissed is an understatement, the rest of the car is fairly good! I thought I was seeing things when I lifted boot mat just to double check :bang: (n)

Can't see me making a loss on what I paid for her, as rest is fairly good. Just want to know if it's an MOT failure so I can say in the listing if it can be just done with a bodge, or if it need to be done properly for structural reasons etc. That's not classed as a weight bearing area is it? Seems solid appart from that hole and the seem that I've pic'ed.

It got me really Parranoid. Went running around checking the other Panda's hadn't gone aswell without me noticing, but all is ok there.

Must admit its the first place i look at when getting a panda...iv been lucky so far...
Looks like an MOT failure if its more than just the hole..although im no expert...why not see how much it is to be welded..then at least you could mention the cost on the listing if its quite cheap...

That's what mine was like. I expect the rot will have got into the structural rear cross member too, so it would be an MOT fail. That said mine passed an MOT in a pretty bad way the year before with a lot of rot on the rear cross member.

Text book panda rust. Sorry to hear it jon, as has been mentioned its probably spread. Take the rear arch liners out and look in the rear top corner near the seam. They infamously go through there and thats usually a indicator of how far gone it is. Although I might be wrong that it has gone there too, but thats the most common spot especially if the boot has let water in for sometime.

Hope she sells ok, but that will definately devalue the car. Might add lots of value having it patched up in time for the auction end. But obviously it is up to you. I expect if you find a good (value wise) welding place then it would be around £80.

Si

Last edited:
Must admit its the first place i look at when getting a panda...iv been lucky so far...
Looks like an MOT failure if its more than just the hole..although im no expert...why not see how much it is to be welded..then at least you could mention the cost on the listing if its quite cheap...

Yep, I normally check there also. Can believe I forgot to when buying her and have only just noticed this!

To say I've angry with myself is an understatement. Makes me look like a right noob :eek: :rolleyes:

Have though about getting it done, but it's getting it taxed and insured to get it to my mechanics. I would have done it myself if I had a welder as I've said, but don't (n)

Hay ho :eek:

That's what mine was like. I expect the rot will have got into the structural rear cross member too, so it would be an MOT fail. That said mine passed an MOT in a pretty bad way the year before with a lot of rot on the rear cross member.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that would be the case. Oh well. :bang:

Hope she sells ok, but that will definately devalue the car. Might add lots of value having it patched up in time for the auction end. But obviously it is up to you. I expect if you find a good (value wise) welding place then it would be around £80.

Thanks Si, as said above, I wouldn't have though twice about getting my mechanic to do it if the Sisley was on the road as he's really good at it and very well priced.

Think I'll have to cut my losses I think.

Although I can can see it hopefully fetching a tad more than I paid for her with her being a runner now.

The question. Do I do the RIGHT thing and a 10,000 word listing with loads of pics etc, or a listing with one pic saying 'in need of some rust restoration' and seeing what happends :p

Unfortunatly I'm to honest, so I don't think it'll be the latter some how :)

Unfortunately, the buyer will probably make their mind up when they collect the car anyway, making a long-winded description pointless. My buyer collect the 4x4 today and admitted he hadn't read the description before buying it! He was over the moon with what he found though!

Rust needs to be in "structural" or load bearing places or in a "prescribed area". Namely 30cm of the sill, any seat belt anchorages (rear lower seat belts in your case) or suspension pick-up points. As others have pointed out, it is the inference of more rust that is most worrying, rather than just the bit we can see.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the buyer will probably make their mind up when they collect the car anyway, making a long-winded description pointless. My buyer collect the 4x4 today and admitted he hadn't read the description before buying it! He was over the moon with what he found though!

Rust needs to be in "structural" or load bearing places or in a "prescribed area". Namely 30cm of the sill, any seat belt anchorages (rear lower seat belts in your case) or suspension pick-up points. As others have pointed out, it the inference of more rust that is most worrying, rather than just the bit we can see.

Yea, buyer of last Sisley missed the 'Tax Not Included, will be an extra £100' bit :rolleyes: :p Still got the money out of him.

Thinking of getting mechanic to look at it and sort it now. Thing is, if that is all that needs doing I'll get it done and re-MOTed so its got a year on it, but if more needs doing I'm going to sell as is, but then will have even less MOT on it as I can't get it to mechanic for another 14 days now (off on hols tomorrow).

Grrrr lol :p

Back