Technical What really is GM on the Croma????

Currently reading:
Technical What really is GM on the Croma????

A quick search on eper for the part number (55195392) then putting that in Google says that this part number is shared with the Alfa 159 and should sell at approx £169. I'd advise caution because when I've searched for other parts in the past on Google there have been GM alternatives listed by third-party manufacturers, but in the case there aren't.

Which doesn't mean there isn't a GM alternative - sorry I can't be more helpful! If you have the luxury of time then the specifications for this part are listed on the net, you could try taking them into a motor factors and comparing them with the GM item?

HTH.
Thanks DoI Don't. I got lucky on this Found shop4parts on the net, they only deal in Fiat original spares and they seem to be able to do cross ref and you are correct the clutch on the Alfa 1.9 d is the same as the croma 1.9 8v multijet. I was also recommended by my garage to replace the thrust bearing and the slave cyl and this cross ref with the fiat punto grande. What worrys me is why a clutch plate sould break apart after only 44k, ther was no warning like it slipping it just went.
Fiat quoted £675.0 to do the work, I dont't think my local garage is going to be much cheaper. The parts cost £303.0

I need front brake discs and may have to buy a steering rack for my 2005-55 1.9 16V diesel.

Do you know if there are identical Vauxhall or Saab front brake discs ...

The rear discs on my 55 1.9/16v 150hp Prestigio will need replacing for the MoT test - & I’ve already had a quick squint at the options.

Whereas the rear discs maybe common with GM models – I don’t think the front discs are (?). Anyone?

Numbers I’ve come-up with so far are …

Front: FIAT 51757229
Brembo 09.9399.14 (22/05/2006) 305mm dia, max/min 28/26mm.

Rear: FIAT 46836490
Brembo 09.9505.10 (15/04/2005) 292mm dia, max/min 20/18mm.
Opel: 569114 Saab: 9191336 Vauxhall: 93171778

Hello boys and girls. I have a 55 plate croma 8 valve diesel. It has done 99k excellently until last week when the gearbox rattled itself to bits. Its actually knocked a hole in its casing so not sure what happened. I haven't stripped it to examine it.

Back to the point of this topic. Does anyone know which other manufacturer uses the gearbox? FIAT want £1650 for a new one plus VAT, labour and fluids. Would be nice if someone confirmed same as a GM unit for half the price and more readily available. I suspect a vectra box but obviously am looking for that expert advice before I commit to any decision.

If I can't get one cheaper than FIAT then I'll be selling my car for spares/repair if anyones interested.

Thanks

It's the same, there are GM numbers on it that you can copy once they have the tranny off and being Vectra C is so common you can quickly order and receive the replacement box. This is the best and safest way to get it right the first time in my opinion.

I believe the front brakes are shared with the Alfa 159 and Brera.

Yes and no. The discs for the four pot calipers on the 159 are different. There are two types of caliper set up for the Croma. I understand that the 8v diesel uses a GM caliper and the 16v a Fiat part (known as the Teves unit).

The FIAT part number for the pads you need is 77363627. The one for the 8v is 77363604.

However, have just searched the Girling site and they claim that there are two sizes of front disc available for the 16v Croma: a 285mm diameter disc and a 304mm diameter disc. Although EBC website claim only one at 304mm diameter. E-learn confirms what ebc say. The 285mm disc is for the 8v and the 304mm is for the 16v.:eek:

Last edited:
Rear coil spring broke on my 150 prestigio and all the factors that i rang said it was listed as "dealer only", did a search and got one from a company called Hamp in Widnes , cheshire, Dealer wanted £344 for 2 fitted as they only sell them in pairs, got 1 for £46 and mobile mechanic came round and charged £20 to fit it.

It's the same, there are GM numbers on it that you can copy once they have the tranny off and being Vectra C is so common you can quickly order and receive the replacement box. This is the best and safest way to get it right the first time in my opinion.

Have been quoted £200 for a GM box from breakers, has F40 stamped on it is this the same as my 150 prestigio.

Yes and no. The discs for the four pot calipers on the 159 are different. There are two types of caliper set up for the Croma. I understand that the 8v diesel uses a GM caliper and the 16v a Fiat part (known as the Teves unit).

The FIAT part number for the pads you need is 77363627. The one for the 8v is 77363604.

However, have just searched the Girling site and they claim that there are two sizes of front disc available for the 16v Croma: a 285mm diameter disc and a 304mm diameter disc. Although EBC website claim only one at 304mm diameter. E-learn confirms what ebc say. The 285mm disc is for the 8v and the 304mm is for the 16v.:eek:

+1 Thats correct, just checked the mintex catalogue as 305's are for the 16v

Just had to do the missues front discs and pads, got an amazing deal from www.victoriaautoparts.co.uk Pads are Mintex, Discs are Allied Nippon. Some purists may say oh no what have you done, but been there and done many things with the Croma's. You get the parts while you can.

Nothing wrong with that! Any brakes should be fine, if you spend a lot more perhaps you won't have brake fade as quickly if you drive it hard.

Just had to get something around the ABS system replaced on ours. It's a GM part and means a bit chunk of the wheel needs to be replaced. Will have to find out in more detail what part has broken.

That'll be a wheel bearing change then, the ABS sensors are integrated into them. Not too bad a job but can be pricey if you don't shop around for parts.

Back