What OS for home media / file server?

Currently reading:
What OS for home media / file server?

arc

this is where i stand
Hi all.

I'm over hauling my setup at home, and have purchased an HP Proliant Microserver (AMD Neo 1.3ghz, 1gb, GbE).

I have 4 1TB (SpinPoint F1s) to go in it, and intend to use the servers internal USB port for hold a flashdrive with the boot OS on it.

Before doing the final configuration I may replace the 1TB drives with 2TB drives. I would like a software RAID5 solution (the hardware controller does not support RAID5).

The server will run 24/7 so power useage is a factor I'd like to consider - shutting down disks that are not needed, removing services that I am not going to use etc.

It will be connected to the net via a GbE switch and an FTTC connection (33down/8up). From the GbE switch is a powerline link to the HTPC.

I want the server to do the following;

1. Serve files to the HTPC
  2. SMB support for backing up files from Win7 Laptops
  3. Upload backups to offsite FTP server
  4. DNLA support to stream directly to TV
  5. Remote access to media, to include resampling to suit client
  6. Ability to run a torrent client with webUI (uTorrent)

Licence wise, I have a spare Win7 x64 Pro and that is it. I have limited Linux experience but do have a laptop running ubuntu and am not an idiot (I'm a software developer) so am looking forward to learning what (if any) Linux distros would suit.

What would you put on this setup, and why?

Thanks in advance.

(btw the server I bought can be had for £112 after cashback http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-...-delivered-crescent-electronics/888083?page=1)

What's it like with regards to the points I raised above? I mean I know how to use it, as it runs on our old dev server at work - but the likes of active directory, rras, ipsec etc etc are all of very little use to me in a home environment!

I do however, care about the media / transcoding and RAID5

What's it like with regards to the points I raised above? I mean I know how to use it, as it runs on our old dev server at work - but the likes of active directory, rras, ipsec etc etc are all of very little use to me in a home environment!

I do however, care about the media / transcoding and RAID5

I'm not sure, I haven't gone that deep into it.

Dom

Well if you have a spare Windows 7 licence then you could just use that.

If you want to experiment with Linux I'd suggest Debian if you are prepared to but in the time to learn. You will get a very stable server but it will require some config.

I do not have access to MSDN - and I don't think WHS 2011 is going to make best use of the limited CPU resources!

I'll be using Ubuntu server

Try Ubuntu Linux. Its installs itself and can dual boot with Windoze. Apart from installing the DVD drivers (something about protected rights) you never need to touch a command line (unless you want to) and its free and its virus proof.

Try Ubuntu Linux. Its installs itself and can dual boot with Windoze. Apart from installing the DVD drivers (something about protected rights) you never need to touch a command line (unless you want to) and its free and its virus proof.

(look a few posts above! ;) )

I'm using Ubuntu Server, I already have Ubuntu on my laptop and write software for my day job so I'm not scared of the CLI!

DVDs and dual boot won't be an issue, there is no optical drive on the server and there's not a sniff of Windows on there either!

Sorry missed that :eek:

Just go with Ubuntu no virus worries and its stable. On mine I suspect the graphics isnt quite up to scratch but saying that I use a dual screen with one on VGA and the other on HDMI with DVI converter. I'm getting no HDMI issues on Ubuntu.

With XP Im getting a missing driver error that I've not managed to resolve. Could be the solution is Windows 7 but that's a step too far with my software "library". Still looking for an ASUS HDMI sound driver for XP SP3.

Back