Technical What is this?

Currently reading:
Technical What is this?

Hello

Can anybody help me to identify this engine part? As you look at the car its on the left hand side at the bottom of the engine. I know it might be difficult to identify as its wrapped in tape, has been since i got the car. I have a mystery oil leak and there is some oil round this tape and a little bit under the oil filter (and other areas!). Anyway does anybody have an idea. The car is a jtd.

23012012140.jpg

Thanks, Phil

Last edited:
On the JTD, thats the oil catch tank. It collects the left over oil vapors from the oil breather & oil recirculation system. Some of the oily mist gets sucked through the turbo to be burnt (supposedly for better econemy/less waste) and then the dregs that don't get sucked into the air system collect down in that tank.

It should also be attached to the underneath of your air filter box and only visible by going under the car. It isn't uncommon for them to fall off as they aren't fixed to the filter box very well, but i must say, someone has done a right bodge on the repair. When mine broke, I fiberglassed it and havent had a problem since.

The tank should have 2 pipes if it was designed properly, an in and an out so the tank actually does catch and collect the oil. The out still going up to the turbo but with a lot less oil vapors.

Last edited:
I know people call this an oil catch tank, but can it really be that? As it has no outlet, what happens when it's full of old oil? There's no way of emptying it...

it seems to be the general consensus among the JTD boys that its an oil catch tank.

It doesnt have a drain but this MAYBE because fiat never imagined it would fill up OR because it is a resonator box. there is plenty of reports on here of that 'resonator box' filling up with oil its probably due to the position of it, being the lowest point in the system oil will naturally collect there!

the other thing that raises questions is its not sold separately from the air box. if it was a catch tank i would fully expect it to have its own part number but maybe thats just me!

Back