Tuning What is it about the 500 that...

Currently reading:
Tuning What is it about the 500 that...

The Twins

Established member
What is is about the 500 that really gets to you. Why do we love em so much?

We give them names

Swap our 'luxury' and 'expensive' cars for them.

Shower them with gifts (accessories/modifications).

Spend hours on here talking about them.

Park them at the far end car parks away from other cars to avoid dings.

Get upset when folk call them 'Micky Mouse' cars and infer that they will be rubbish on the motorway.

Both men and women are equally gaga about 500's

So what is it? What's the magic ingredient?

Lol, Especially if the car has scarico doppio ; )

What is it about the 500 that really gets to you. Why do we love em so much?

Because they are brilliantly designed, they look wonderful, classless and sexless, and then the icing on the cake, they are fun to drive and very convenient to use. Show me another small car that is as easy for the driver to get in and out of.

Then look at the Vauxhall Adam. A total contrivance. Less rear room than the 500, and trying far too hard to be cute. It has so-so looks which don't raise a smile (of appreciation;)) and it simply isn't as convenient, or as much fun. And the price....

No, the 500 is unique, and in a good way.

For me, what I love about the 500 is the retro vibe and the fact that its so customisable.

Fiat have managed to make the 500 look very very similar to the original.

The new Mini and Beetle do not quite capture the look and charm of the originals in the same way the new 500 has.

Mini have also diluted the 'Cooper' marque whereas 'Abarth' still stirs the spirit.

I do hope Fiat don't muck it up when they eventually facelift it.

The thing with subliminal attraction is that even a small change in appearance can wreck it completely.

As far as styling goes, Fiat would do well to leave it be. If it works well, don't fix it.

They struggle to sell the functionally similar Panda for 2/3rds of the price, yet 500's keep flying out of the showroom.

Last edited:
I think its the way it makes you feel when you own, drive, sit in, look at it.

The fact that it's different in a 'familiar' way also helps.

I much prefer driving my 500TA to my wifes more powerful Civic or my old much more powerful Hyundai Coupe.

In a tight space, thanks to its smaller doors, the Panda beats it by a mile.

I should have qualified that by saying small car that is designed to be cute. The Panda is sensible, which is why I would buy it in preference to the 500 (y)

I think its the way it makes you feel when you own, drive, sit in, look at it.

Driving my 500 makes me feel happy. That's the bottom line for me. You can get better equipped and better designed cars for the same price, but they're no 500. It evokes the same kind of feelings as seen in the famous Petrolicious video:

I have to say that I am obssessed with the 500 (and not in a perv from Washington DC type of way!)

I've owned 3 since 2008 and I convinced my partner he needed one when I finally succumbed to the fact that the cramped footwell was exacerbating my arthritis. So 4 in total between 2008 - 2012.

We're both trading in for a 500L Trekking and I know it's not a real 500. Its impressively equipped though and I know we'll enjoy driving it but something will always make me want a 500. I only have to walk into the showroom to get an up date on the 'L' and I'll entranced by the colours and collections of different 500's.

A truly heroic little car that I hope is around for many, many years to come (y) :worship:

PS - The banner at the top of this page that shows a BiColour with the Colour Therapy wheel trims is beauty to behold!!

Not an actual car you can buy (with is very much part of the Fiat advertising ethos) but I'd gladly buy a BiColour and add the White trims! :D:D

Back