What is a .VXD file

Currently reading:
What is a .VXD file

I have finally got round to fixing the sound on my computer, but have hit a slight problem :bang:

The sound card is in and working correctly but when i plug my bb modem and reboot the computer doesnt even start up and tells me that it cant find a .VXD file, i take either the sound card or modem out and the computer loads up perfectly.

Any ideas? because i want sound, even my on-board sound doesnt even work :(, if i could get that sorted i would be happy :)

Thanks

VXD is a virtual device driver, so like Alfie said, update the drivers.

A VXD is a device-driver file; the one you're missing presumably allows Windows to control a sound card or modem. Try reinstalling the software for modem and soundcard, it might ask for your windows disk to extract the missing file.

What OS do you use by the way? If it's windows 98 then you can restore individual system files from the CD-ROM using the system file checker. Load system information from system tools in the start menu, then select "system file checker" from the tools menu, and restore whatever file you're missing. Don't think it's the same in XP though :rolleyes:

It's also worth checking if you have onbaord sound on your mobo as well as a soundcard that the mobo audio controller is switched off in your bios, you may even need to change the jumper settings on your mobo, but that is not usually the case.

thanks for the help

the sound card rivers are up to date as i just downloaded update today, modem update is downloading now

will see what happens, it means i have to put sound card back in now

have now finished downloading driver and installed it, its still doing the same thing not booting up if both are plugged in together

but i disconnected modem so it booted up then connected it now both are working as they should, now im totally confused :confused:, why do they work together but wont allow computer to boot up

another few questions, what does 'updating ESCD' mean on startup

and the error message i got about the VXD file is as follows:
'An exception OE has occured at 0028:C0030AE6 in V:LOL:.
This was called from 0028:C00C5 1A0 in V:LOL:'

any ideas on these 2 questions

thanks

you can run xp on that... id put it on sharpish.. youl find that all ur driver probs will dissapear...

jus make sure u use the windows update and antivirus

Gaz, if you want a good copy of Windows XP Pro, I can sort you one along with a keycode generator so you can download updates/service packs...all completely legal of course...;)

i got that xp too stuff to gaz with more cerials than you know what to do with...

not that im breachin any copyrite! :p

well... friggin bill gates got enough $$$$

oh yess ill be a resident tech if yous want... theres some other gus who no some stuff too..

it looks like you got the job then :p

i like to think i know what im doing when it comes to computers but i dont :(

helz - im silly, i forget asking you although you have offered hundreds of times :eek:

Last edited:
Back