What engine should i put in my baby.

Currently reading:

• Total voters
Dawn, If youre staying FWD then Id think 1400-1600cc is your limit really unless you can get a very new 2000cc unit. The Croma Turbo (8v TC <dribbles>) is just too heavy and the car just wont handle as there too much weight at the front.

Personally, Id try and find a older SOHC unit (Tipo 1.4 or 1.6) and look at charging that. :D

i'd stick another engine in the same as the original in, then sell it and buy a faster car if thats what you want. its always the cheaper option.

Randomman, nice idea with the GT top and 1.6 bottom end. Kev and i will have to discuss that at great lengths :cool:

Dave, nice find and just round the corner from me (y)

Jug, it was thought about but tbh i cant part with my baby, i love her too much and Kev has put too much work into her to get rid :D

Thanks guys for all your ideas, some of which i hadn't thought of and some Kev had thought of but didn't want to burst my bubble by saying they wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Well perhaps its not well known, but the 1.6 16v has a block based on the old SOHC engine so in theory would not be much effort to fit one of these engines. But my chioce would be 1.6 sohc, as it was fitted to MK1 Punto for a short time and is very torquey, economical and easy to work on. Bigger engines equal weight and understeer and a car that will handle like a pig. Remember also, you need to sort the fuel/ignition management out.

Andy.:)

no idea if it will fit,suspect it is impractical to even consider it, but the vauxhall 2.2 litre petrol engine is all alloy,bombproof and very light, seen one in a chevette sprint car to good effect..........

pah all you simple minded folk... its got to be the autodelta 3.7 alfa gta v6 with the supercharger :devil: :cool: :eek: (y) mmmmmmmmm

orrr the chroma lump sounds rather tasty to me :) if it screws the handeling up just go slow around the corners then boot it once your out :D

how about the 2.0L, bolt a T3 Turbo to it and buy a megasquirt ECU
Best of both worlds :D:D:D

would have to change front tyres more often than you put water in the wash bottle lol

Matt

the point is, the car would get to a corner, and then carry straight on.

FWD with a massive chunk hanging out over th front of it with no weight to settle it at the back is just asking for trouble, basically you'll hit a corner, it won't turn in much, when it does, the back end will go straight out, so you floor it, too much power, and the whole car slips mainly ass first into the neartest lamppost/ditch/fence post/postman :p

not wise.

as dave says. the 1242 16v can be tuned to VERY good potential. you can add a supercharge to put some guts in it at the bottom end. and you can have a 8,000rpm top end with a lumpy cam, some head work and that standalone ecu you'll need to run the 'charger.
1242 16v lumps are VERY common. you can pick up a sub 50k engine with g'box (as th sporting ones ahve a longer 5th gear for better motorway work) and ecu etc for under £200 ;)
then you spend the rest of the money on a little supercharger and fitting.

no custom mounts.
no custom driveshafts
no custom wiring
no angle grinding
no one off exhausts required
no custom homebuilt/bodged plumbing and rewiring attepts.

just plug, and play.

Back