Technical well it had to let go some time.......

Currently reading:
Technical well it had to let go some time.......

after close on a year, the RAC repaired/bodge clutch cable finally let go last night, at the pedal end, frayed and snapped of just out of the the little holder on the end of the pedal.

considering it's been to two trackdays, loads of UK wide shows, across europe to germany, and thrashed on the ring, it's done pretty well, so much so, that balls to buying a fiat replacement (£50+vat at least), have bought some steel cabling from local hardware store (pennies per metre), and will be making up, and replacing it at home.

only issue though is, looking at original, it seems to use a pretty heavy guage of wire, the rac one was a bit thinner, the one i got, is a touch thinner again. say about 3/4 of the original. anyone done the same, encountering any issues?

I haven't, so can't be of much help. :(

I'd like to request pictures for when you do do it though :)

I feel like an idiot - I can't visualise this repair :eek:

Without seeing how the replacement cable lashes it together, it's hard to say whether your replacement will be strong enough... give us a pic or two?

I seem to recall the Uno Turbo has something different to the other Uno models, something involving exposed cable runs behind the turbo and a pulley or two?

Driving without the clutch is fun, isn't it? ;)

-Alex

the cable attaches to the top of the pedal, through the bulkhead, onto a pulley, goes 90 degrees left, to go across the car to the passenger side, through another pulley to go 90 degrees again, forward to the lever on top of the gearbox.

it's a bugger to remove, will do sopme photos tomorrow. the rac bloke used connectors using grub screws to hold it on place at both ends, the pedal end has a round connector to go on teh pedal, held in place by a flat clip. the clutch end has a long bolt, so can be adjusted for tension.

cable is part exposed, but one part, between the pulleys is sheathed in a rubbery cover, again photos to follow(y)

yeah it did well, and like i said, i can't see the point in spending on a fiat replacement part, i've had them go on me too....

Back