Styling Well as it is like this: lol

Currently reading:
Styling Well as it is like this: lol

DJ Binks - polish up the red paint before you try to get a match, please :)
I had a red Uno which someone partially resprayed with a 'matched' red - matched to the faded colour! Needless to say, when I polished up the rest of the paint it was a disaster.

I think you'll find that Rosso 854/F or Rosso Corsa 140 (slightly darker) can be made up to the recipe (at Halfords etc.) and will match the rest of your Uno if you put in a little elbow-grease on the rest with the T-Cut. As Dunc says, even if you paint the whole tailgate a slightly different colour, it doesn't stand out that much.

Some painters like to apply a clear coat over the old paint to prevent future oxidation. I suggest not doing so, as sooner or later it will flake off and be a huge problem. Instead, after cutting, applying a wax helps tremendously to keep it that way. Just washing the car every few weeks will prevent it getting matt and orange again.

A full respray is a nice idea, but unless there is widespread rust to repair elsewhere, I don't think it's worth it. And if there is widespread rust, then it's probably best to get another Uno - they are cheaper than the repairs, as I'm sure Dunc will agree :)

From the first picture I didn't think the tailgate looked bad. The lock button usually stops working because the button cracks and expands. If you shave some plastic off the sides of the button with a knife, and then lubricate the catch mechanism, I reckon it'll work again.

The remote release for the Mk2 is different. The lever requires a slightly different hole, the cable runs diagonally across the back of the Uno and comes in to the striker from the left side, the striker itself does not work with the Mk1 catch. I spent a long time fitting the cable to a Mk1 striker and trying to adjust it. The lever tended to stick 'up' and I never really got it working. Best to get a Mk1 release I reckon.

I didn't manage to see your pics - dreaded red Xs - but from the signature it looks pretty straight!

Cheers,
-Alex

I will do matey, going to see what happens in my quest for a new car at the weekend :) Found a few half decent ones thou.

bit of an update: I now have a new car, couldnt find another Fiat im afraid, so I got myself a Nissan 100NX. But of rust, but it is straight :D...

So I will PM you Dunc

Back